Urge to Escape

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
I was just wondering about the russian torts and their constant urge to escape -- does that ever change as they mature? When I was researching which tort would be right for me I was told the hermanns don't have that urge that all russians have of escaping their enclosures and that they are perfectly content in their enclosures. Is that true about russians?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they like to wander not necessarily xscape. there enclosure may need more site barriers so they can't see the end of the enclosure from the other end. it might also be too small.

AnimalLady

If the enclosure is too small they will never stop trying to escape. Make your enclosure bigger and reap the benefits.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Mine seems content as far as spacing goes -- he walks around and is usually really calm and content just basking under the mvb. Haven't seen him trying to climb or get out. It was just a general question on the Russian tort behaviors. A Hermann tort owner mentioned that to me about Russians and that hermanns don't have that kind of behavior. He mentioned that generally hermanns don't have that instinct and they are more content in their enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was just wondering about the russian torts and their constant urge to escape -- does that ever change as they mature? When I was researching which tort would be right for me I was told the hermanns don't have that urge that all russians have of escaping their enclosures and that they are perfectly content in their enclosures. Is that true about russians?

They're never really satisfied until you make a LARGE outdoor habitat for them.