Urgent advice needed please! is my leopard tort dying??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkydinkydoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire, UK
i dont know what to do!
my 4year old leopard tort stopped eating his usual big lot of food last week and has not eaten anything since.
he has not pooped all week
i have to encourage him to go to the water bowl, even then he's not drinking properly
ive been soaking him as i assumed he was dehydrated
but today things have seriously deteriated , his eyes have sunken, his skin on his head is very dry, he cannot move or hold himself up
his back legs are perminantly jammed right up in his shell.
his front legs are hanging limp in front of him and doesnt respond when i touch them.
ive cried my eyes out all morning , i think my beautiful bubba is dying and may not make it through to monday :(
has anyone been through this? what was it? can i save him?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I would soak him in warm water (make sure you keep his head up), and keep him warm (30 - 35) and comfortable until you can see a vet. Offer him any favorite foods of his.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
To have loved and then said farewell is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you.
For the care that you gave to me so unselfishly.
For all of these things I am grateful and thankful.
I ask that you grieve not for the loss but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each other's lives.
My life was fuller because you were there, not as owner, but as my friend.
Today, I am as I was in my youth.
The grass is always green, butterflies flit among fthe flowers and the sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures.
I can run, jump and play and do all of the things that I did in my youth.
There is no sickness, no aching joints and no regrets and no aging.
We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know that togetherness is forever. You live in our hearts as we do in yours.
Companions such as you are very rare and unique. Don't hold the love that you have within yourself.
Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies, and you are loved and missed as surely as we are.
by Ken D. Conover

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
So sorry to hear that, how awful for you. Sometimes things go very wrong, very quickly.
Our thoughts are with you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear about the little guy, sometimes they go down hill very quickly. Once again sorry to hear.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Utah Lynn said it so well, even tho that made my eyes leak.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
So sorry...
so i looked back at your older posts.. you have had her for 5 months... got her at a pet shop.. what kind of history do they have on it? Were there any health gaurantees? Did you ever take her to the Vet ?
Its not hatchling issues.. so something went wrong somewhere.. They can be sick for a while and not show signs, but not sure about 5 months..
When you can possibly bring yourself to do so.. go over everything you have done, foods fed, chemicals used in the house, did you take her outside? did she eat something bad? object? get dropped? too hot? exposed to other animals?
Find a Vet and get a Necropsy done? or just an xray ? try to get some answers and closures for yourself...
You have other torts.. are they ok? Hugs

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I'm so sorry :( poor little guy.
If you do check on his care in detail and everything was right, it might have just been a stroke or some other natural condition. Tortoises are not immune to hereditary problems. Humans can get sudden problems like a stroke, or have clots, so I figure torts can too. They have a vascular system, after all.

Please take it easy for the next few days, keep your mind busy.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Utah Lynn said:
To have loved and then said farewell is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you.
For the care that you gave to me so unselfishly.
For all of these things I am grateful and thankful.
I ask that you grieve not for the loss but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each other's lives.
My life was fuller because you were there, not as owner, but as my friend.
Today, I am as I was in my youth.
The grass is always green, butterflies flit among fthe flowers and the sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures.
I can run, jump and play and do all of the things that I did in my youth.
There is no sickness, no aching joints and no regrets and no aging.
We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know that togetherness is forever. You live in our hearts as we do in yours.
Companions such as you are very rare and unique. Don't hold the love that you have within yourself.
Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies, and you are loved and missed as surely as we are.
by Ken D. Conover

Made my cry!

RIP He will love it at rainbow bridge!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow.