Urgent advice: Tortoise Penis

MichaelsTortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Durham, UK
Hello all,

This is my first post here on the forum and somewhat urgent. We bought our first ever Tort - a now 2 year old horsefield named George in August and to date we have had no issues other than a bit of abnormal shell growth which we have since sorted by cutting down food and changing living conditions.

Lastnight we took on our second tort - a 10yr old Hermanns, called Max from an old friend. When he arrived we had no idea of the condition he was in. His shell was slightly pyramided (though not drastically) which was obviously concerning. As well as this, she informed us of what she had been feeding him:
- tortoise pellets
- a mix of different leaves
NOW WAIT FOR IT....
- cat food !!!!!
- hotdogs !!!!!! (Apparently he loved these!!)
- and occasionally would eat a beef burger !!!!!

We were understandably appalled and we were horrified by the two poos he did lastnight which were an awful colour. He seemed relatively okay however this afternoon we noticed his penis was out. We had never experienced anything like this with George so were understandably horrified at first. However it's now past 9:30pm and it still hasn't went back in. We bathed him as soon as we were in the house after finishing work which removed the bits of substrate which were stuck to it. It keeps going slightly inwards but not entirely.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this before. We only want the best for him as he is such a lovely little animal and feel so sorry for him. We have contacted the person who gave him too us to ask whether this was a regular occurrence.

Thanks, michael

M

Maggie Cummings

I am not a Vet. But it sounds like a prolapse. Make a sugar paste and keep his penis covered with sugar. You might gently try to push it in. This is real serious, get him to a Vet as soon as you can, and keep that area clean and damp. Put him on newpaper not a dirt type substrate. Keep it damp and he'll need a Vet asap
I betcha after he settles in the penis will go in as well.