Urgent Desert Tort rescue, need the TFO champions please (PHOTO TRIGGER WARNING, graphic pictures)

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Maro2Bear I'm still gleaning over this one, and I have NO idea on the quality of this vet, but fascinating picture-by-picture (graphic for some) tutorial on the removal process of a tennis-ball sized stone.

I also found some amazing comparison pictures by Don Williams of two stones he had a lab analyze the composition of, and noted how each was raised. I'm an info nerd, so I am totally fascinated!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
@Maro2Bear I'm still gleaning over this one, and I have NO idea on the quality of this vet, but fascinating picture-by-picture (graphic for some) tutorial on the removal process of a tennis-ball sized stone.

I also found some amazing comparison pictures by Don Williams of two stones he had a lab analyze the composition of, and noted how each was raised. I'm an info nerd, so I am totally fascinated!

Fascinating, amazing what can be achieved when our shelled warriors need help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@MotherofDragons and @Maro2Bear Later today when I'm on the computer (not the Kindle, like now), I'm going to put up both those links as a sticky in the health section and also in the FAQ section.

Thank you for finding and posting them for us.

Southern California
@MotherofDragons and @Maro2Bear Later today when I'm on the computer (not the Kindle, like now), I'm going to put up both those links as a sticky in the health section and also in the FAQ section.

Thank you for finding and posting them for us.
Glad to help!

Funny enough, just came across a 2019 post where you shared the same information from their website. I was searching the forum for more bladder stone info.

Did it seem familiar? Lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Glad to help!

Funny enough, just came across a 2019 post where you shared the same information from their website. I was searching the forum for more bladder stone info.

Did it seem familiar? Lol.
I'm 84 years old. Nothing seems familiar anymore. I'm watching TV re-runs as if I've never seen them before, and re-reading books I've read a couple times and it's all brand new!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I very openly admitted I’m not an experienced judge of tortoise composition. He does seem to be missing a bit of heft to him though, despite his big chunky feet. It’s the upper portion inside the shell that drew my scrawny comment, lots of loose skin, not really filled out, etc. I only have my one adult female to compare to and she is new to me. My other torts are yearlings.

@TammyJ he was transported to the SD Turtle and Tortoise Society yesterday and is in their care. It will be up to them what happens to him now.
I'm late to this. Was gone with no internet. What a great thing you did helping out with this guy.
I think you did just fine with judging his shape and size. After all he is/was in your care, you would know best what he looked like.
Hoping for a great recovery for him and long happy life.
Keep us posted if you get updates.
Thanks for helping him.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I very openly admitted I’m not an experienced judge of tortoise composition. He does seem to be missing a bit of heft to him though, despite his big chunky feet. It’s the upper portion inside the shell that drew my scrawny comment, lots of loose skin, not really filled out, etc. I only have my one adult female to compare to and she is new to me. My other torts are yearlings.

@TammyJ he was transported to the SD Turtle and Tortoise Society yesterday and is in their care. It will be up to them what happens to him now.

Turtles and tortoises are like Popeye in that their upper limbs are thinner then the exposed part we mostly see. I believe they're that way so there is room to get the big part in when they want to clam up.
Are you getting him back after he's all done at the Doc?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So pleased he's in good hands and has a better chance now.
My leopard has a foot missing and he manages perfectly well on a shorter leg.
I hope he makes a speedy recovery from all this.

Southern California
Turtles and tortoises are like Popeye in that their upper limbs are thinner then the exposed part we mostly see. I believe they're that way so there is room to get the big part in when they want to clam up.
Are you getting him back after he's all done at the Doc?
I don't want you to think I ignored you. I spent more time thinking about a response than I rightfully should have. The truth is, euthanasia was mentioned as on the table when he just needed the amputation. I don't know if you saw the update, but then they find out he had stones which is another costly surgery. I do not envy the organization who must weigh the benefit of saving one versus many. They mentioned fundraising, and attempting to get a donation from the original owners to cover some cost, but I have not had any more updates. For very good biosecurity reasons I do not wish to share I have decided to put my bleeding heart away and will not be accepting him back if asked, though I was not an approved foster anyways. I tried, sometimes that's all we can do unfortunately :(