URGENT - HATCHLING SULCATA HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
last week i bought a baby sulcata tortoise. when i pick herup, she makes clicking noises and sometimes sticks her neck out. i was reading about psychological stress about tortoises and they shouldnt be handled too much. i didnt know that until now, is that the problem or is it an upper respiratory infection? :/ she eats fine, sometimes grass, hibiscus leaves, romaine lettuce and mazuri that the person who i bought her from gave me. ive been keeping her inside since the dogs have broken the fence that i use to separate her from them and i am in the process of fixing it but when i get home i put her in the sun and let her roam. im thinking now that i prefer her to be inside, so i bought uvb/uva fixture and a incandescent bulb for her but it wont be here until next week. she has a lot of energy and is very curious. i soak her for 15 minutes in warm water everyday and she makes clicking noises then too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mordy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

And may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Can you tell if the clicking sound is coming from the beak or is it a breathing noise?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It could be a couple of things. When you say she's sticking her neck out, does she raise her head up with an open mouth...almost like she is struggling to breath?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D. Check out the threads at the bottom of this post. All of them are great reads for Sulcata's.

M

Maggie Cummings

In my experience most tortoises stick their necks out when picked up. Most clicking noises are normal

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
Right now it sounds normal. RI's usually entail open mouth breathing, discharge from nose, loss of appetite, lethargy.

Status
Not open for further replies.