Urgent!!! (having a hard time eating)

Aubadess

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello! I'm a first time baby sulcata owner, andI have a sulcata tortoise that's only a month old. She is acting strange lately and having a hard time eating. I have her housed in a small 12"x 24" tub that's open on the top, and she is on a wood chipping bedding right now. We take her out twice a day to roam in our little garden outside for 30 minutes, sometimes to an hour until she tires herself out.

And more in depth on the strange behavior: whenever she tries to eat or go for something to bite, she looks up and sideways and bites the air. Theres nothing blocking her vision, or is there any discharge from her nose or mouth, she seems to be pooping fine. I just dont know what's wrong and I really need some help from more experienced tortoise keepers!

Aubadess

Texas
What do you feed her on?
I've been feeding her veggies like turnip greens, cucumbers, she wont eat the zucchini i give her, and also nopal. And then when she is outside she munches on anything green and leafy. I've also started giving her mazuri tortoise diet today, in case theres a nutrient deficiency somewhere. Also I dust the food with calcium powder too.

Edit: also, if I hold her food to where her head is going, she will eat no problem, she just cant direct her head in the right direction

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Your tortoise prob has eye problems ( from birth most likely) what type of bulb do you have?

Aubadess

Texas
Your tortoise prob has eye problems ( from birth most likely) what type of bulb do you have?
I believe I have a 100w bulb that gives of uvb and heat, and my temps on the hot side are at 100 and the cool side is 70 to 80 degrees f. At night it gets a bit lower. Is it possibly the uvb? Because I thought maybe it's her eyesight as well. She does have an extra vertebral scute, possibly two, and I've noticed her two front claws on her foot are stuck together like they're fused.

Here's a overhead picture of her back side.

Attachments

• 20190514_171027.jpg
    20190514_171027.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 13