Urgent Help Required: Tortoise tail disease

avm123

Something is going on with my tortoise tail, it has a big bump and blood is coming out from it. Here you may see some pictures. Could you please help me figuring out what kind of disease this is, why did it happen and how may I cure it?

Thank you for your help.

2015-02-15 14.10.48.jpg 2015-02-15 14.03.05.jpg 2015-02-15 14.04.10.jpg

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Looks like a prolapse. Keep it moist, even if you have to keep it in a small container of water and get it to a vet ASAP. They'll either push it back in and sew it up or it may need to be amputated. Keeping it moist is key.
Then you need to figure out why it prolapsed in the first place an fix the cause or it will just happen again.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is a prolapsed penis . Like kevin said keep it moist . Take him to a vet now don't wait .

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Yikes!! Your tortoise needs emergency vet attention! Hope you can get that prolapse fixed ASAP.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is what a tortoise penis looks like. Some tortoises will put out the penis when they first come of age. They might play with it on and off for a few days but then lose interest. If the penis doesn't go back inside on its own, you will have to take him to a vet.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How is this torts doing now? Did Vet able to help??