Urgent help - tortoise's head won't come out

Jonathan14782

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester
I woke up this morning and found that my tortoises head was deep in his shell and he isn't moving so I don't know if he's dead or that he's stuck, like I mentioned he hasn't moved but he still has poo coming out, can anybody please help I've only had him a few weeks and I'm so scared 😭😭

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Hum, doesn't sound good, can you post a picture. . .
How have you been caring for her/Him, What kind of Tort, Age?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Does he react when you touch his feet?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
And IDK if a tort can get a "stuck in it's shell" head.
Yes they can - we've had a couple recently but I think they were as a result of injury and swelling :(
The one was stuck for a few weeks and couldn't eat but survived because of keeping him hydrated, I can't remember the outcome for the other.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Well, being held, not being held, if he is moving his head, Leg's then there's good chance he NOT dead. Does She/he have a Favorite food, try to entice them to come out & move.
Again, what kind of Tort, Age, Habitat?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yeah he does move and his head does come out put when I pet him his head goes in and stays there until I put him down. I recently got him and he's in a new environment
Has he been active until now?
Torts hate change so he could just be getting used to his new home.
If you post some pics of him, his enclosure and the bulbs you use we'll help you make sure he has everything he needs to be safe and healthy. If you tell us his species we can point you in the direction of the correct caresheet.

Jonathan14782

Manchester
Well, being held, not being held, if he is moving his head, Leg's then there's good chance he NOT dead. Does She/he have a Favorite food, try to entice them to come out & move.
Again, what kind of Tort, Age, Habitat?
Well my mum's friend gave him to me, she didnt know the kind or Tort. He's 7 and he's in a warm habitat. I've tried what you said and it does seem to work, I think he's just anxious it was the part when he doesn't move which is scary cause sometimes I pet him he doesn't move other times he does

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well my mum's friend gave him to me, she didnt know the kind or Tort. He's 7 and he's in a warm habitat. I've tried what you said and it does seem to work, I think he's just anxious it was the part when he doesn't move which is scary cause sometimes I pet him he doesn't move other times he does
Post some pics and we can ID him which is very important because different species have different care needs and need the correct diets and temperatures etc.
I'm guessing that in the UK he is either a Horsefield (Russian) Hermanns or Greek. but there are other species available and without the right diet, temps and care etc they may not live long. So let us see some photos to help you give him the best life. Meanwhile until you have the right ID don't feed fruit as most species can't handle sugars and could become ill.
Have you given him any luke, warm shallow soaks since you've had him?

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
Yes they can - we've had a couple recently but I think they were as a result of injury and swelling :(
The one was stuck for a few weeks and couldn't eat but survived because of keeping him hydrated, I can't remember the outcome for the other.
OMG, another nightmare scenario for me to ponder (as a new, inexperienced, surprise sulcata guardian). 😳

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
OMG, another nightmare scenario for me to ponder (as a new, inexperienced, surprise sulcata guardian). 😳
Something to do with getting caught in or bashed by doors and windows if I remember rightly so as long your sully isn't allowed to wander around in places where that could happen, that will keep him safe.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
Something to do with getting caught in or bashed by doors and windows if I remember rightly so as long your sully isn't allowed to wander around in places where that could happen, that will keep him safe.
Thanks, Lyn! He should be good, then. I'm taking in everything that I read on TFO, and I'm so glad I found it soon after Leo showed up. Such awesome people who are so generous with their experience... I'm so grateful.

mb1212

Bakersfield
I woke up this morning and found that my tortoises head was deep in his shell and he isn't moving so I don't know if he's dead or that he's stuck, like I mentioned he hasn't moved but he still has poo coming out, can anybody please help I've only had him a few weeks and I'm so scared 😭😭
Pick him up silly. Put him some warm water.