Urgent help - tortoise's head won't come out

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Jonathan, we really do want to help! Please post the pictures I asked you to.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi please share your tortoise details as mentioned he is scared. Ensure the enclose has hiding space and he can not see from one side to other side. He needs to get used to and you to him, please try a shallow warm soak as that normally gets them warm and active. I use 2 x washing up bowls from tesco dedicated for tortoise soaks. Please keep us posted and ask any questions.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Don't call people names on here, please. It turns them off and they need help. Thank you.
you're gonna scare people away from posting...I agree with the poster...silly...? come on...this is just getting out of hand..
And that was not calling a name...saying jerk! is calling a name. You are not a moderator...that's their job...if needed

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
you're gonna scare people away from posting...I agree with the poster...silly...? come on...this is just getting out of hand..
And that was not calling a name...saying jerk! is calling a name. You are not a moderator...that's their job...if needed
Yes. You are right. I am sorry. I thought the OP may feel offended by it, as some might. Gonna crawl back into my burrow now and sulk.😢

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well.... I've had my little Russian for 15 years in May. One of the things I did to get him used to me is just sit and watch him without bothering him or towering over him. Yet still be there with food and care or just watching. All of that slowly and no quick movements on my part. Now he doesn't pull his head in or get upset if I have to pick him up. He still has the instinctive" pull the head in" and hiss but I try my best to never trigger that.🐢

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well.... I've had my little Russian for 15 years in May. One of the things I did to get him used to me is just sit and watch him without bothering him or towering over him. Yet still be there with food and care or just watching. All of that slowly and no quick movements on my part. Now he doesn't pull his head in or get upset if I have to pick him up. He still has the instinctive" pull the head in" and hiss but I try my best to never trigger that.🐢
that "hiss: that all of us tort keepers have heard, is not a hiss like a cat or snake...it's the sound of the air rushing out as he pulls his head in displacing the air...:)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
that "hiss: that all of us tort keepers have heard, is not a hiss like a cat or snake...it's the sound of the air rushing out as he pulls his head in displacing the air...:)
Yes 🥰

MaNaAk

Southend
Has he been active until now?
Torts hate change so he could just be getting used to his new home.
If you post some pics of him, his enclosure and the bulbs you use we'll help you make sure he has everything he needs to be safe and healthy. If you tell us his species we can point you in the direction of the correct caresheet.
Torts don't like being man handled and if he is a new tort then he is adjusting. If he outdoors he needs the sun and shade. I see that you are from Manchester. I am in Essex and my two Greek tortoises are outside but not doing much because of the lack of sun. Once he is warm enough try giving him dandelions and greens. When mine come out of hibernation I usually give them tomatoes and as a special treat a strawberry. How old is your tort? What's his name and could we see a picture?

MaNaAk

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My tortoises have been in the family for eighty years and still retreat. They can also get up to mischief.

MaNaAk
Yes Sapphire does also if I have to approach him before he knows it's me. Like when he's getting himself up to mischief 🤪 He likes pushing around stuff to enable himself to climb a wall. And here I thought I had a Tortoise. Instead I have a monkey tort. Other times it's just a natural reflex.😊

MaNaAk

Southend
In our old house dad used to draw the curtain at the back door because Daisy used to ram in an attempt to get in. She could be very persistent and we used to take her to the back of the garden only for her to come back and she would do this until she decided to do something else. Both Jacky and Daisy are excellent climbers.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
We would also be sitting in the garden and a cold tortoise shell would rub itself against our feet. Either that or a paw would find it's way to our feet.