URGENT HELP - URI Antibiotic dosage??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lohan

5 Year Member
Hello everyone

Please help. I have a little Egyptian, her name is Tiny T...I live in the South Sinai of Egypt (in the desert basically) in a small tourist town where the only vet here has absolutely no knowledge what so ever of torts, I knew this and she quite rightly advised me of this. My little Tiny T is very sick, I have done my research and consulted a vet friend in the UK. I know she must have Baytril and that it can be given orally. I have visited the local vet and she has the drug and is willing to provide it, however she has asked how many grams I need first before she can give it.

I now know that a Tortoise can be given 5mg of Baytril per KG of weight. And anything up to 15 mg of Baytril per kilogram of weight for 72 hours (only for URI).

I know that these dosages are far too much for my tort as she is Tiny. We weighed her so we can provide the amount needed to the local vet, but she only weighs what I can make out to be 3.5 oz! She is so little.

Please guys, if anyone out there can help and give me a SPECIFIC max measurement for the dosage I can give her this will be a massive help and will save her life. She is very ill and is just getting worse. So for every kg of weight I know I can give her anyting betwen 5 - 15 mg....but due to her size not even being anywhere near just 1 kg this is way too much. Also we will not be injecting as the vet has no knowledge whatsoever of torts, and I know there is a specific technique and place to inject torts, and I am nervous to allow her to inject her incase she does it wrong and injects an organ etc...I also know it stings and the wrong dosage or injection could kill her. Also there is a slight language barrier - I am English she is Egyptian, I have small amount of Arabic vocabulary but this is limited, and for this reason things can easily get lost in translation! Can anyone out there just give me a measurement so I can at least then get the drug and apply it to her food?? (if she is even able to eat) This really is a desperate situation. Please it is no point telling me to get to another vet as there is not one close by without having to travel a long way for hours and I just dont have the means....

Thanks very much, desperately waiting a reply.

I had quite a scare today as when i bought her inside from the outside (it was hot which is why I bought her back indoors) she was suffering with lots of liquid all over her face, not just on her nose, although it must have been coming out of her nose, bubbles where everywhere almost like a froth and puffed up neck, mouth open!!! This is a bad situation and I nearly died of fright when I saw her today. I am worried and upset and just need to get her well. Please help

Thankyou. Please help. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's not a good idea to give out dosages on the internet. Baytril comes in different strengths. We don't know what strength your Baytril is...or who ever reads this thread. I'm sure there is someone your vet can call to get the info he needs.

I don't think your tortoise needs Baytril. I think it was overheating. When they are suffering from heat stroke, they foam at the mouth.

Lohan

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
It's not a good idea to give out dosages on the internet. Baytril comes in different strengths. We don't know what strength your Baytril is...or who ever reads this thread. I'm sure there is someone your vet can call to get the info he needs.

I don't think your tortoise needs Baytril. I think it was overheating. When they are suffering from heat stroke, they foam at the mouth.

Hi Thanks for your reply. Well it is good to find out what the symptoms of overheating is..thank you for the information and yes I think 100% sure she was overheated. Please can you or anybody out there let me know what the max temp for comfort is and when it is dangerous. I am in Egypt where it can be very hot and I am also keen for her to get as much natural daylight as poss. How about in the shade, does this still count in order to help absorption of calcium?

About the Baytril, yes she does need this as she does have an URI...And no, unfortunately for me and for my little tort, the vet I am sure will not know anyone who she can call...if so I would imagine she would have offered to help. She looks after cats and dogs and that's about it, she didn't even understand when I approached her for a UVB lamp and for calcium. Seriously, it is a pretty bad situation when you are right out in the middle of the Desert and you dont have a pick of vets, also not a lot of knowledge on reptiles and torts about. Which is why I came here as a desperate attempt to get feedback from the experts on the forum. Fingers crossed someone can give me some help. :shy:

About the dosage of Baytril - yes I do understand the concern about the dosage and about giving info over the net, I appreciate it is not ideal ad for sure if I had a vet near by I would be sure to be there like a flash...it is really tricky, but please I dont know what else to do......perhaps if I find out the strength of the Baytril that the vet does have that may help get some measurements on here?

Thanks for your support.
L.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lohan:

If you send a PM to exoticsdr, he can maybe contact your vet and talk with him about dosages. There's too much we don't know about the Baytril you have there. We might kill your tortoise if we tell you how much to use.

If you provide plenty of shade in your outside habitat, and maybe wet it down occasionally, it will be ok. Does your tortoise have a nice hiding place underground where its cooler? I like to dig my hiding places in the shade for the tortoises.

Lohan

5 Year Member
Hello again

Thank you for your reply, and for suggesting contacting Exoticsdr. I can try this but will first need to ask the vet here if that is ok! Remember also there is a language barrier Arabic and English and I have to get my husband to translate for me!....She doesn't have any idea about torts so not sure if it would help, but worth a try I guess. Yvonne, I think if I don't try to give her something she is going to die so I think it is better to try a small, small dosage on her food?? Dont you think? I think its probably not a good idea, but I am just so worried to leave her longer.

Also after this mornings scare (of what now sounds like I made he situation worse giving her flipping Heatstroke) I just cant bear to leave her like this longer. I think you may remember a while back when you gave me advice at the time I first joined the forum - I inherited Tiny T by accident after a strange lady basically came into my work place and asked me if I can take on her cat, dog, and tortoise as she 'had to leave the country urgently to take care of a family situation' and that she would be 'back in 2 weeks its only temporary'! Well when I said I couldn't help she began to cry so I felt sorry and said ok I will take the tortoise (thinking it would be easier - ha silly me). I nursed little Tiny T to health and she is now my little baby. I know she is not in the best environment with me, and I cant get the things she needs from here, so ask visitors to bring what they can from the UK. I cant actually leave her outside for long when I am at work, as we have hundreds of ferrel wild cats and dogs where I live, as well as ants etc. I have thought about handing her to somebody else, but I am scared that she may end up in an even worse home. She has a shade which is a plant pot cut in half (like a small bridge) which is where she was this morning when I went back out to get her.

Dont you think it is better still for me to give her the tiniest little drop of medicine than none - otherwise for sure she will die!...Oh I sound desperate - well I am.

Anyway I am going on far too much now....basically I will try PM'ing Exoticsdr and see what we can do. Thanks for listening and for your last reply....
Thank you Yvonne.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It would be a good idea to set up some sort of umbrella-type thing over your little plant pot hiding place. Without it being in the shade, it is like an oven inside.

Maybe if you can ask your vet what percentage the Baytril is. It comes in a stronger percentage for large animals, and a weaker percentage for smaller animals. If you can get that info, I will PM you the dosage.

Lohan

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
It would be a good idea to set up some sort of umbrella-type thing over your little plant pot hiding place. Without it being in the shade, it is like an oven inside.

Maybe if you can ask your vet what percentage the Baytril is. It comes in a stronger percentage for large animals, and a weaker percentage for smaller animals. If you can get that info, I will PM you the dosage.

Hello Yvonne...
Thank you again so much for your care and support. I will not put her out in the sun for a day maybe before I see how she is, I am at work now and my husband is at home with her, I just hope what happened earlier today does not finish her off...and pray for tomorrow to come with her ok!

I will be speaking with the vet this evening and will ask, then I will write back to you as soon as I have this information.
Thank you so much, you are great. L. :)

Lohan

5 Year Member
Lohan said:
emysemys said:

Hello Yvonne...
Thank you again so much for your care and support. I will not put her out in the sun for a day maybe before I see how she is, I am at work now and my husband is at home with her, I just hope what happened earlier today does not finish her off...and pray for tomorrow to come with her ok!

I will be speaking with the vet this evening and will ask, then I will write back to you as soon as I have this information.
Thank you so much, you are great. L. :)

Hello again Yvonne, I hope you are well...I have PM'd you the percentage today, Im not sure if it has got to you as I was having a bit of trouble working it out...but hopefully you did get it. Best wishes
Lohan. Thank you so much, waiting for a reply if possible :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, thank you. I've been talking with our forum member and veterinarian, exoticsdr. It seems that the Baytril that your vet has is for large animals. I wouldn't use it on a baby tortoise that small. Its too strong.

Lohan

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Yes, thank you. I've been talking with our forum member and veterinarian, exoticsdr. It seems that the Baytril that your vet has is for large animals. I wouldn't use it on a baby tortoise that small. Its too strong.

Hi Yvonne

Thank you so much for your time and care, and for talking with the vet on our behalf. I really do appreciate your support.

I wont be giving her the medication based on your advice, I will PM exoticsdr and ask him the next best step.

Best wishes
Lohan

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
What is odd... You have the American College in Cairo. The students and professors wrote the book on Egyptian tortoises. I'm curious... are you allowed to keep Egyptian tortoises?

Please don't see this as an attack.

The person you should contact is Sharif Baha al Din or an offical at the American College.

You have amazing resources in your own back yard.

RNS in Egyptian tortoises is common with animals taken out of the wild.

How long have you had this tortoise... what was it's originition...

Is it still alive?

What you described is a sign of extreme overheating or posioning.

Lohan said:
Hello everyone

Please help. I have a little Egyptian, her name is Tiny T...I live in the South Sinai of Egypt (in the desert basically) in a small tourist town where the only vet here has absolutely no knowledge what so ever of torts, I knew this and she quite rightly advised me of this. My little Tiny T is very sick, I have done my research and consulted a vet friend in the UK. I know she must have Baytril and that it can be given orally. I have visited the local vet and she has the drug and is willing to provide it, however she has asked how many grams I need first before she can give it.

I now know that a Tortoise can be given 5mg of Baytril per KG of weight. And anything up to 15 mg of Baytril per kilogram of weight for 72 hours (only for URI).

I know that these dosages are far too much for my tort as she is Tiny. We weighed her so we can provide the amount needed to the local vet, but she only weighs what I can make out to be 3.5 oz! She is so little.

Please guys, if anyone out there can help and give me a SPECIFIC max measurement for the dosage I can give her this will be a massive help and will save her life. She is very ill and is just getting worse. So for every kg of weight I know I can give her anyting betwen 5 - 15 mg....but due to her size not even being anywhere near just 1 kg this is way too much. Also we will not be injecting as the vet has no knowledge whatsoever of torts, and I know there is a specific technique and place to inject torts, and I am nervous to allow her to inject her incase she does it wrong and injects an organ etc...I also know it stings and the wrong dosage or injection could kill her. Also there is a slight language barrier - I am English she is Egyptian, I have small amount of Arabic vocabulary but this is limited, and for this reason things can easily get lost in translation! Can anyone out there just give me a measurement so I can at least then get the drug and apply it to her food?? (if she is even able to eat) This really is a desperate situation. Please it is no point telling me to get to another vet as there is not one close by without having to travel a long way for hours and I just dont have the means....

I had quite a scare today as when i bought her inside from the outside (it was hot which is why I bought her back indoors) she was suffering with lots of liquid all over her face, not just on her nose, although it must have been coming out of her nose, bubbles where everywhere almost like a froth and puffed up neck, mouth open!!! This is a bad situation and I nearly died of fright when I saw her today. I am worried and upset and just need to get her well. Please help

Lohan

5 Year Member
-EJ said:
What is odd... You have the American College in Cairo. The students and professors wrote the book on Egyptian tortoises. I'm curious... are you allowed to keep Egyptian tortoises?

Please don't see this as an attack.

The person you should contact is Sharif Baha al Din or an offical at the American College.

You have amazing resources in your own back yard.

RNS in Egyptian tortoises is common with animals taken out of the wild.

How long have you had this tortoise... what was it's originition...

Is it still alive?

What you described is a sign of extreme overheating or posioning.

Lohan said:
Hello everyone

Hello Ed

I have sent you a private message. I appreciate your concern, I am sorry but did find your tone slightly offensive and accusing. I have therefore sent an email to you to clarify the situation. People who know me on here from the beginning when I actually inherited her from an irresponsible owner back in November last year, will know that I am not irresponsible and that I care deeply for my little animal. I am doing all I can and your info about the professor in Cairo is helpful, and I will be looking into it. Thank you, I hope you can reply to my email. Best
Lohan.

Status
Not open for further replies.