URGENT..MY LITTLE BABY HAS DEVELOPED SHELL ROT

Nolan1992

He has developed shell rot, is it too bad for me to treat it on my own or do I need to take him to a vet ???

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
Put some Betadine (Povidone-iodine) on it to quickly kill of the fungus. After it dries put on some anti-fungal cream like clotrimazole. Only use the Betadine for a day or two, but use the cream for about a week to 10 days. Should take care of it. Redfoots get shell-rot pretty easily so make sure their substrate isn't wet, maybe just a little damp. USe sphagnum to keep up the humidity in their enclosure

Nolan1992

Put some Betadine (Povidone-iodine) on it to quickly kill of the fungus. After it dries put on some anti-fungal cream like clotrimazole. Only use the Betadine for a day or two, but use the cream for about a week to 10 days. Should take care of it. Redfoots get shell-rot pretty easily so make sure their substrate isn't wet, maybe just a little damp. USe sphagnum to keep up the humidity in their enclosure

I think the eco-earth I have been using holds too much water. I am going to take it out and replace it with cypress mulch now. Thank you.

ginger07

Labuan

Hi. Do you have any sample pictures for the medicine? The medicine for human use can be used for tortoise treatment?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Here you go!

Attachments

• 1398260016123.jpg
    1398260016123.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 19
  • 1398260031284.jpg
    1398260031284.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 16

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Or you can add the moss to the top of the substrate you are already running...also don't add water to all of the substrate but rather in the warmest spots and not so much on the middle temp to cool temp areas....

ginger07

Labuan
Or you can add the moss to the top of the substrate you are already running...also don't add water to all of the substrate but rather in the warmest spots and not so much on the middle temp to cool temp areas....
Do you mean my habitat should have a dry area? My habitat now is a plastic basin with water. at the centre there is a big rock. I expect they will climb onto it. but they seem dont like to be on the rock and soak in the water everyday.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
yes, there should be a place that the tort can go to that allows them the ability to completely dry out....a healthy shell is one that can be maintained by the tort by use of a variety of micro climates...especially if you are housing a tort primarily indoors....a shell that never dries out can become a place that fungus and bacteria readily form and take hold....I mean, even an aquatic turtle needs a place to dry dock itself for basking and for the health of the shell :D

ginger07

Labuan
yes, there should be a place that the tort can go to that allows them the ability to completely dry out....a healthy shell is one that can be maintained by the tort by use of a variety of micro climates...especially if you are housing a tort primarily indoors....a shell that never dries out can become a place that fungus and bacteria readily form and take hold....I mean, even an aquatic turtle needs a place to dry dock itself for basking and for the health of the shell :D
okay. try to figure out to change the habitat. thanks a lot! :)