[Urgent] New Tortoise One Eye is White

Ziyado

Location (City and/or State)
Cairo, Egypt
DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0004.jpg I got this tortoise 5 days ago and some of the members might know because I posted about it before. As Identified by @HermanniChris it is a Female Libyan Greek Tortoise so recently I examined her and found that one eye of hers is white and slightly closed. I need all help needed and she is also not eating. I soaked her in water and cleaned her eye gently with a cotton. I will see what will happen but now I need some help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard to know for sure from looking at a picture, but the most common "white eye" problem I've seen here at the Rescue is either a pus cap or the eye lid.

Just make sure your tortoise's diet and living conditions are what they should be, then add some eye ointment several times a day for soothing relief. There are two I know of that have been helpful for me:

You can buy this one from pet stores or online:

eye ointment b.jpg

I have found this one at feed stores, but vets also sell it:

eye ointment a.jpg

Ziyado

Cairo, Egypt
It's hard to know for sure from looking at a picture, but the most common "white eye" problem I've seen here at the Rescue is either a pus cap or the eye lid.

Just make sure your tortoise's diet and living conditions are what they should be, then add some eye ointment several times a day for soothing relief. There are two I know of that have been helpful for me:

You can buy this one from pet stores or online:

View attachment 176153

I have found this one at feed stores, but vets also sell it:

View attachment 176154

Thank, I will be sure to look for those although in Egypt we don't have much pet medicines but I will look for it.

Ziyado

Cairo, Egypt
What type of lighting do you currently have?
Photos would be great.

I am using natural light cause I live in Egypt and the weather is warm enough and I also have some shade for her to hide if she wants. Do you think lighting would affect her eye??

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am using natural light cause I live in Egypt and the weather is warm enough and I also have some shade for her to hide if she wants. Do you think lighting would affect her eye??
Compact coil UVB lamps are known to cause eye problems. It is unlikely that direct sunlight is the cause.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!:)

Sorry to have read that your tort is ill.:(

Please post pictures of your tort's enclosure.

(By the way, I live in Jordan, where it is very hot today).:D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
If you can't find the drops/ointment Yvonne has suggested, just get some over the counter human eye drops. At least saline, or artificial tears, and some soothing ointment. Ask the pharmacist what he/she recomments for inflammed/irritated eye. Try to wash that eye under gently running lukewarm water. Repeat irrigation as needed. That alone maybe soothing for her. And warm welcome from Texas:)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Sorry that your tort is sick, and hope to hear he's better very soon. Good luck.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not natural light. It is best.
There is certain, common "pet shop" type that does.
But that is now ruled out.

Ziyado

Cairo, Egypt
A warm welcome to the forum!:)

Sorry to have read that your tort is ill.:(

Please post pictures of your tort's enclosure.

(By the way, I live in Jordan, where it is very hot today).:D

Well it's a new tort so I an enclosure at the carpenter but I sent it back for modifications but I usually leave her in the balcony with shade, water and food.

Ziyado

Cairo, Egypt
If you can't find the drops/ointment Yvonne has suggested, just get some over the counter human eye drops. At least saline, or artificial tears, and some soothing ointment. Ask the pharmacist what he/she recomments for inflammed/irritated eye. Try to wash that eye under gently running lukewarm water. Repeat irrigation as needed. That alone maybe soothing for her. And warm welcome from Texas:)

I already tried cleaning her eyes with water and asked vet at a pet store and he suggested Terramycin which I got but he also told me to get her for a check up. Is this really necessary ??

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Ziyado. How is your tort today, and what of his eye?

Sincerely hope to hear things are better.