URGENT PLEASE HELP HIBERNATION

Nour sharif

Location (City and/or State)
Lebanon
so my tortoise was hibernating and i was leaving her to do her own stuff but then she lost a lot of weight and we got a wave of better climate in general and i knew there was a storm coming very soon so i was worried about her so i forcibly woke her up from hibernation following all the steps on wikihow and she ate since the very first day and for the next 3 days and the heat lamp is on 24/7 and the temperature inside is very good but now it has been two days since she last ate and i keep soaking her twice a day like usual but i am worried about her. someone told me that i should leave her to go back to hibernation but i read everywhere that this is dangerous for her, help what should i do?
p.s. she hibernated for about 12 weeks

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Set the tortoise up in a regular indoor enclosure, with light and heat, feeding station and waterer, hiding places and maybe a potted plant or two. You can't put her back in her brumating place because she now has food in her digestive tract which would rot and kill her. So you now have an indoor tortoise until the weather warms up enough for her to go back outside.

Nour sharif

Lebanon
she already has all of that minus the plants so maybe i will add some for her now. the heat lamp as i said is always on and i always even warm up the room she is in so we can avoid anything else but i don't know what is happening. Is it normal??

Nour sharif

Lebanon
Set the tortoise up in a regular indoor enclosure, with light and heat, feeding station and waterer, hiding places and maybe a potted plant or two. You can't put her back in her brumating place because she now has food in her digestive tract which would rot and kill her. So you now have an indoor tortoise until the weather warms up enough for her to go back outside.

she already has all of that minus the plants so maybe i will add some for her now. the heat lamp as i said is always on and i always even warm up the room she is in so we can avoid anything else but i don't know what is happening. Is it normal??

Nour sharif

Lebanon
please reply quickly i am very concerned

hollyandT

Hull
It took a few days for my tortoise to get back into a normal routine after hibernating I’m sure this is a similar situation

Nour sharif

Lebanon
It took a few days for my tortoise to get back into a normal routine after hibernating I’m sure this is a similar situation
yes thank youuu so much and thank you for replying. i called a vet about half an hour ago, we are going to wait a couple of days and if she still doesn't eat we will consider putting an antibiotic for her

hollyandT

Hull
Well I’m sure she’ll be back to normal in no time ! Sending good thoughts your way :)

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Tortoise can go a very long time without eating. Please post pictures of her enclosures, temps lights, etc. Maybe we can help find a solution. Temps are very important in feeding. If they are wrong, your tort will not eat. I would hold off on the vet until we have looked at all this and if you do decide to go anyway, DO NOT let the vet give vitamin shots.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
How long are the lights on in the enclosure? Photoperiod is very important in trying to control their need to brumate/hibernate. You need good lighting on 14 hrs a day to keep a tortoise from thinking its winter.