Urgent: Please help me identify!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis_tortoise

5 Year Member
Photo0013.jpgPhoto0012.jpgGuys please help me identify this guy....i found it around a month back and all it eats is tomatoes! i feed it a couple of slices a day but i cant seem to get it to eat anythin else!
do i keep it in water? or in a tub? or indoors? as of now its jus indoors in my room and to feed it i put it in a basket wit the tomato!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
Please include your location, it would really help in identification of this turtle. Plus a picture of the turtles face would be great too.

Most importanly, It's probally a wild turtle and should be returned exactly where you found him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi louis_tortoise:

Welcome to the Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I think its a water turtle. I'm not very good at identifying the different kinds of water turtle. Have you actually SEEN it eat tomatoes? Water turtles usually can't swallow food unless they're under water. Water turtles eat bugs and worms and water plants.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Maybe a Map Turtle of some sort...I recall something about that ridge down the shell? You may want to wait a bit to get others opinions/id...but it does need to be able to swim....and you may likely not want to be feeding it tomatos....maybe offer it a nightcrawler worm or the like....In my humble opinion :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I think you are all wrong. It is either a Cuora amboinensis (Asian Box turtle) or a similar Cuora subspecies.

Cuora_amboinensis_kamaroma_j.jpg

Lamarr

5 Year Member
It's either amboinensis (most likely) or Mauremys annamensis. Treat both as an aquatic with a land basking area. Both of these seem to love wiggly worms! Hard to resist the motion. Good luck!

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Well it's defiantly a turtle :p

Other than that it's hard to tell. I don't know much about turtles so it'll be interesting to find out what sort this guy is,
can we have more photos to help our turtle experts out please :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
"I think you are all wrong. "

LMAO...you are funny!!!!!.....hmmmm, lets see what it is with some of the others "guesses" as well....this is fun :D

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Nope. Not high enough for one, and at that size, it would be almost adult with a very well developed ridge. Definitely not a musk turtle. I am still convinced it is of Asian origin.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Reeve's turtle...my bet is 1,000 TFO dollars

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, nope, not dark enough for a Reeve's. The plastron would be solid black, and the shell would be less round and more elongated. (I have Reeve's just FYI ;) ) Male Reeves are solid black on the carapace or plastron. Females can be a bit lighter, but not that light.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Reeves :p
Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever touched any type of turtle let alone own one. Besides boxies...what would I know?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think Lamarr's correct. I looked up pictures of Vietnamese pond turtle and I couldn't find babies, but the adults looked very similar to the pictures in the first post.

And Kristina, I'm going to have to put you on report if you don't quit hitting Neal and be nice to him. Its in the rules. Well, the rules don't specifically say "no hitting", but I think that rule is implied.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I just wish we had better pictures of the body. The shell is nice but I'm only 1/2 the information I would need to ID it.

Status
Not open for further replies.