Urgent! (type of bulb)

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone,

Currently for my baby leopard, I am using a zoomed compact fluorescent UVB bulb. I know that coil bulbs are bad for tortoises eyes, but I was wondering if this is the same thing as that. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not all of them cause the problem. Unfortunately, you can't tell a problem bulb from an ok bulb until after your tortoises eyes are burned.

Personally, I wouldn't use any cfl. In addition to the possible eye damage, they are not effective UV sources. You'll be much better off with a long tube, and so will your tortoise.

Southern California
Not all of them cause the problem. Unfortunately, you can't tell a problem bulb from an ok bulb until after your tortoises eyes are burned.

Personally, I wouldn't use any cfl. In addition to the possible eye damage, they are not effective UV sources. You'll be much better off with a long tube, and so will your tortoise.
So in other words, are you saying that it isn't necessarily dependent on the brand or type, but can vary bulb to bulb itself?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So in other words, are you saying that it isn't necessarily dependent on the brand or type, but can vary bulb to bulb itself?
We don't really know. What we do know is that, time and again, we get tortoises with eye problems on here that recover when the CFL is switched of and subsequently replaced with tube UVB or a Mercury Vapour Bulb.

Sometimes the tortoise is simply one that hides away all the time. Again changing the bulb fixes it. The tort presumably hides because its eyes hurt.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Some people use the bulbs and swear by them. Others use them and end up with baby tortoises with eye problems. You can't tell by looking at the bulb, as they all look alike.

Allison Gray

5 Year Member
Phoenix area of Arizona
I have an exotic vet that recommends th self ballasted Mercury Vapor UVB bulbs by days and the black CHE by night. It's been working great for me. Although my little ones are fortunate to be able to spend their days in the sunshine almost year round since I live I the valley of the sun.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.JPG
    IMG_3407.JPG
    777.8 KB · Views: 3