Urgently need help for 2 baby tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melly

5 Year Member
Hi there all! I have 2baby tortoises of an unknown age, they are smaller than the palm of my hand and I have no idea what species they are. I can't say who I got them from but basically I was given them as a result of me pretending to want them as they were left to roam a garden with no appropriate food or housing. So now I really need to get them to a sanctuary or someone with a permit. I don't know what to do with them and I know it's illegal for me to have them. I live in the weltevredenpark area in gauteng. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Melly, and welcome to the Forum!!

Are you in South Africa? If the tortoises were living in your friend's back yard, it is highly likely they had hatched out naturally and were wild tortoise babies. If this is the case, your friend was doing the right thing by leaving them alone and not interfering.

Maybe if you do a GOOGLE search for wildlife sanctuaries in your area you can come up with something.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
The first thing you can do, in order for us to properly help you, is to post pictures of the animal.

tickle

5 Year Member
Sometimes even good intentions are wrong they are wild animals and are great at taking care of themselves.were are they illegal.pics would help.If they were in danger I understand taking them but they belong in a garden enclosure.u no nothing about tortoises so what made u think you new there was something wrong..I don't want to sound mean not at all if you saved them from certain death that's great but this happens so often people no nothing about a animal that they see.then think that since they look dirty or are running wild they no what's best and take them home.my boxies run wild in my garden I let them fend for themselfes mostly I feed them twice week. They hunt for the rest or eat what I'm growing.u described a tortoise enclosure and they would do best back in it.what made u think they were in trouble u don't even no what kind they are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A garden in their native land sounds like a good place for them to me. Please help us to better understand what the issue was.

Melly

5 Year Member
tickle said:
Sometimes even good intentions are wrong they are wild animals and are great at taking care of themselves.were are they illegal.pics would help.If they were in danger I understand taking them but they belong in a garden enclosure.u no nothing about tortoises so what made u think you new there was something wrong..I don't want to sound mean not at all if you saved them from certain death that's great but this happens so often people no nothing about a animal that they see.then think that since they look dirty or are running wild they no what's best and take them home.my boxies run wild in my garden I let them fend for themselfes mostly I feed them twice week. They hunt for the rest or eat what I'm growing.u described a tortoise enclosure and they would do best back in it.what made u think they were in trouble u don't even no what kind they are.
@ tickle, I understand you love these creatures and want to protect them but you are very rude! Have you no respect for ppl that you can't even talk nicely. You have no idea the circumstances yet you are being disrespectful! I know for a fact that these tortoises are in danger as the owner told me that they took them off I mine and they don't have a permit! Secondly they have been left in freezing conditions with an open swimming pool, they don't even know what to feed them as they only gave them lettuce once and nothing else. Plus they have 2 small dogs. So tell me again that I was wrong!!!

Melly

5 Year Member
tickle said:

And just so you know, the people who had them cared so much about them that they don't even know what species they are. And I didn't take them from them yet, I said I would first arrange that my garden was properly prepared before I would. Which is obviously not what I'm doing! I want to make it right and get them away from those ppl and into a safe place

Melly

5 Year Member
I can't get any pics but they look similar to a hinge back

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
ok,, so why dont you tell us more about them and fill in the blanks so we dont have to 'assume' things... you told us a little more...that helps...
Do you know how the friends got them? did THEY take them from the wild? or did they just show up in the yard? Are they willing or wanting to learn how to care for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.