URI and too small for Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Tonka is about 8 months old and only 46g. He is just starting to grow now. He definitely has a URI as he has bubbles coming from his nose and seems to gasp for breath occasionally. Our vet said he is too small for Baytril so, what else can we do to help him?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Why is he too small for Baytril? I have given hatchlings diluted Baytril before with good results.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Well, that's what our vet said so we're kind of going with his advice. Any other info is greatly appreciated. How did you dilute it? What ratio? How exactly do you medicate a little creature that can pull his head into his shell? :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I didn't mean to contradict your vet, I'm just saying my vet has prescribed it for sick hatchlings and it has worked. Actually, the dose for your baby wouldn't even have to be diluted, but diluting it makes it less painful. It can be given through an injection. You could try some other antibiotics (like Cipro - but that has to be given orally.) You could also try soaking him in some antibiotic solutions, but I don't have any experience with this so you will have to wait for someone else to chime in.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Thank you! Our vet is supposedly the "go to" reptile vet in our area but I'm not sure how much experience he has with tortoises. He seems to be more a snake/lizard guy. We would really like to get some other opinions as to our options.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Is this a leopard tortoise? I have a baby leo on Baytril right now, and he is is doing great. He came to me really sick, but with the help of the Baytril he is eating and walking around again. :) Good luck. :)

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Yes he's a Leo. He's eating well although he will only eat Mazuri and runs away from any greens. He's pretty active but I just want to catch this infection before it gets worse.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My baby boxie had a little bubbling from the nose last month. He weighed 40 grams at the time. My vet is not comfortable with Baytril for very young, rapidly growing turtles either. She prescribed oral sulfatrim suspension. I just put it on his food because he was still eating very well, and he ate it right up. It was cherry flavored so no problems there. He is completely fine now. She did say if he didn't respond to the sulfatrim she would have tried the bayril. But she just does not like to use it on turtles that still have a lot of growing to do. She also does not believe in Vitamin A injections.

JasonMcK

5 Year Member
Thank you Lisa, that's very helpful and is similar to what our vet said.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We too have used Baytril on very small tortoises. You can use the injectable version and give it orally as well. Depending on how severe the infection is, you really have little choice. You need to give it some kind of antibiotic. I would suggest revisiting the vet or find a new one. Kindly suggest and ask about giving it a course of Baytril. If that doesn't work, insist upon some thing!! In my experience Baytril is more effective against respiratory infections than sulfa drugs. Rememberl, it is your animal and demand you get some kind of help for it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
what makes you think he has a RI? did you have him tested? or did someone as you questions and peek at him and say , RI?

I would say to make sure to increase your over all enclosure temps to 80-85 (cold side and during the night) and leave your basking spot...if you are doing the heavy humid enclosure I would back off of the humidity a bit for a while and I would also make sure to offer daily warm water soaks, especially important to keep him hydrated due to not feeling well and also due to increasing enclosure temps...

I would also offer him foods high in A, K, E and B...I also would allow him to dry out at least once a day (lets say like an hour outing to the natural sun to muck about, get fresh air and get natural sun exposure)

If he is eating and active and the only thing you are seeing is clear bubbles...I would try the increased heat, out side time and let him dry a bit during his recovery time....if he is young he could just be showing signs of what happens when a tort gets stressed (new to you in the last few months?)...

If you do these things and do not notice a positive change in a month then perhaps it is something more....and by the way, if it is something else then the other things will also begin to happen, loss of appetite, loss of desire to be active--lethargy....

I just would want to know how your vet came to the conclusion that your tort has a RI? I am always leery of a vet that just peeks and says "oh, it is a RI"...

Status
Not open for further replies.