Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
SWFL
I am becoming so discouraged. My relatively new Indian Star has been sick for nearly a month with no signs of improvement. I have been giving him Fortaz injections every 3 days. After 7 injections, he is done with treatment, but he is as stuffy as ever. Maybe worse. :huh:
I have him on white (unprinted) newspaper with timothy hay spread around. I was told to keep him bone dry. I do have a shallow water container if he wants a drink. And I soak him nearly every day.
I am keeping his temps at 85 minimum and 100 - 102 max.
He is eating, peeing and pooping. But still, he is noisy in his breathing, and often has a runny or bubbly nose. I am about as stressed as I can be. I am calling the vet back tomorrow for further instruction.
Can anyone offer advice. What I should, or should NOT do? How long can these things go on?
I have read that vit A might be a factor, but injections may be dangerous. This is a 3.5" yearling. Is there another way to supplement vit A orally?

Ann from CT

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am so sorry your tortoise is sick. I really cant help but hopefully someone will reply soon that can give you some advice. Good luck to you and your tortoise!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the source of your tortoise? Health issues are very common with wild caught individuals, but I have been told that the captives are usually okay and long as they are kept warm. Just looking for some insight here. I don't have a solution to your problem.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
He is captive bred. Raised in Nevada for his first year. But he was shipped to GA, and very shortly thereafter, shipped to me in CT.
I was told he had been outside. I tried to have him out as much as possible, but our New England nights are getting chilly. So I would only keep him out for the hottest periods of the day. It may have been too much stress to be moved around so much.
Since I have been treating him, I have mostly kept him in with as little disturbance as possible. He eats twice a day, though rarely in front of me now. I am sad that he has come to hide upon my approach. Giving these injections has had a negative affect on what little relationship I had started to develop with him. :-(((
I put him out today for a while when I got home from work. It was around 90 and quite humid. I gave him his soak first. He seemed to perk up, and explored and ate.

If I must continue antibiotic treatment, I am going to ask for oral. He eats well and I would hope that would be less stressful. Though from what I've read, abx seem to cause as much trouble as they are a help.
Is there a probiotic for torts?

Ann from CT

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Bone dry is a little extreme....I would place him back in his normal indoor enclosure and bump your temps to be at no less than 85 degrees (day and night) and I would still provide a basking spot at 110ish....I would also do daily warm water soaks (keeping the water warm the entire time and him warm on the trip back from the soak---you can wrap him in a towel for the trip :p)....

I am guessing that the health began to wear due to extreme stress...shipping can be very hard on a tort and then it sounds like he endured it twice in a short time....stress can create alot of health issues to come to the surface in what would otherwise be a perfectly healthy tort....so, I would not subject him to a car ride and the poking and probing by a vet....I just would not...

I would first try to bump your temps, offer warm water soaks, offer food and offer opportunity to be in the warm natural sun when ever you have the opportunity to do so...the natural sun does wonders for the overall mental as well as physical well being of the tort....

Now, if your tort does not seem to improve over a couple of weeks then I would re evaluate his situation then...now, this is simply what I would do if it were me :D

Also, to go from Arizona (arid) to GA (wet/hot) to CT---cooler and wet can do a number on him....also, yes, vitamin A is helpful and you can purchase vitamin a eye drops for turtle/torts...you can use the drops on his food instead of the eyes....however, I would not necessarily do this just yet...not from what you have described anyways.... I would offer foods higher in vitamin a first...:D

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Thank you Angela!

Ann from CT

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The other thing to remember as well is that soaks are so very important during and after antibiotic treatments....the antibiotics are hard on their kidneys, so soaking the tort each and every day during and after the treatment is beneficial...:D

Also, don't be disheartened, he will come around again to warm up after some time has passed, they don't appear to carry a grudge :p

Status
Not open for further replies.