uromastyx humidity question

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Hello all,
I’ve ordered a Red Nigerian Uromastyx. He should arrive 10/12. Ive been playing with temps and what not in its enclosure and have that temps and humidity set.
My question is more about taking my lizard outside for natural sunlight for a little while on nice days. I live in South Carolina and we have high humidity almost year round. Just wondering if going outside for a hour or so would hurt the lizard?
He has uvb lighting, but in my opinion, nothing beats real sunshine.
Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the same Uro.
I wouldnt think, that would hurt him at all. I soak my Uro whenever he is shedding to make it easier.
Now if you were keeping him in high humidity, that would be a different story.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
I have the same Uro.
I wouldnt think, that would hurt him at all. I soak my Uro whenever he is shedding to make it easier.
Now if you were keeping him in high humidity, that would be a different story.
Ok thank you, just wanted to make sure. I’m excited to get him, he’s the first animal I’ve ever purchased online.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good luck with him.
Just remember they are fast and if he ever gets out, look in the darkest coolest spots.
Mine some how has gotten out 3 times years ago. He always went to a corner of a dark cool closet. Once they find a spot, they stay there. They go into a deep sleep. When I found him the first time, I thought he was dead.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Good luck with him.
Just remember they are fast and if he ever gets out, look in the darkest coolest spots.
Mine some how has gotten out 3 times years ago. He always went to a corner of a dark cool closet. Once they find a spot, they stay there. They go into a deep sleep. When I found him the first time, I thought he was dead.
Thanks for the tip, I’m hoping mine will be easy going, guess I’ll see lol

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
What is your night time temps? I’m finding conflicting information. In my test runs I’ve been keeping to enclosure between 75 and 80 degrees at night.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Those are fine night temps. But could even go a lil lower. As long as ur daytime temps are HOT. They like it really hot with basking temps 130+

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Those are fine night temps. But could even go a lil lower. As long as ur daytime temps are HOT. They like it really hot with basking temps 130+
Ok cool. Yeah when I started researching I was surprised how hot they like it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello all,
I’ve ordered a Red Nigerian Uromastyx. He should arrive 10/12. Ive been playing with temps and what not in its enclosure and have that temps and humidity set.
My question is more about taking my lizard outside for natural sunlight for a little while on nice days. I live in South Carolina and we have high humidity almost year round. Just wondering if going outside for a hour or so would hurt the lizard?
He has uvb lighting, but in my opinion, nothing beats real sunshine.
Thank you
Your humidity will do no harm at all and that real sunshine will be great for him. Be sure the outdoor cage is escape proof and also has adequate shade available at all times. They do like it hot, but they will still cook in full sun with no shade.

I live in a dry climate and I always offered my Uros a lightly dampened humid hide. They used them all the time and it never did any harm. Always had good clean sheds. The rest of the cage was dry, but I used a plastic tub with a hole cut out of the front for a humid hide.

I also do this with all monitor lizards, bearded dragons, Leopard geckos and all other known "desert dwellers". I've have nothing but excellent results each time.

Congrats on the new baby. Show us some pics once he arrives!

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Your humidity will do no harm at all and that real sunshine will be great for him. Be sure the outdoor cage is escape proof and also has adequate shade available at all times. They do like it hot, but they will still cook in full sun with no shade.

I live in a dry climate and I always offered my Uros a lightly dampened humid hide. They used them all the time and it never did any harm. Always had good clean sheds. The rest of the cage was dry, but I used a plastic tub with a hole cut out of the front for a humid hide.

I also do this with all monitor lizards, bearded dragons, Leopard geckos and all other known "desert dwellers". I've have nothing but excellent results each time.

Congrats on the new baby. Show us some pics once he arrives!
Glad to hear that, I will post picks when he arrives

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Ended up naming him Diego, because she came from San Diego, also because my said I couldn’t name him Dave lol

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I buried PVC pipes in my old mastic enclosure with an entrance on one side and an exit at the other side. Some times you couldn't see them, but they loved going inside it!
The humidity here is regularly over 80°. But with the heat lamps, it stayed pretty dry in there.