Uromastyx living with bearded dragons?

JakeDevoe

5 Year Member
I've been reading to have a uromastyx and there are some reptile keepers that keep them with bearded dragons. I like this idea and am thinking about it and I was wondering if that is safe to do?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've kept uromastyx.
No humidity and temps over 100.
I also had a maze of huge PVC pipes that they tunneled in.
One was yellow and one was red.
I ended up placing them and their enclosure in my garage with some lighting on timers. Even in the hot garage with heat lamps, they would bask on flat rocks.
I'd break out in a sweat just feeding them.
However, they didn't mind being handled. Didn't bite. But they would sometimes catch my fingers between their legs and spiny tail and squeeze. That was not pleasant.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should never be mixed and these two species have different environmental, dietary and behavioral a needs.

People do all sorts of things they shouldn't do. That's not a good reason to copy them.

Greentara111

County Durham
I've been reading to have a uromastyx and there are some reptile keepers that keep them with bearded dragons. I like this idea and am thinking about it and I was wondering if that is safe to do?
I have a uromastyx and a bearded dragon together and they are best of friends BUT you need to understand them - my beardie is really docile- I have had 6 beardies before him, all with different temperaments and 2 were aggressive so NO WAY would I have but the uro in with them but this one’s a sweetheart and our uro loves him. I keep the basking end hotter with a cool end, they eat the same veggies, uro has trill and when beardie has worms or hoppers (not too often) I have a small tank I feed him in. So it’s about knowing your pet and give it a try

Attachments

• 40644A57-B135-4786-B8E8-F9892456B7B3.jpeg
    40644A57-B135-4786-B8E8-F9892456B7B3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 34CB439B-894B-4EDF-8BDC-2EC1494E20B7.jpeg
    34CB439B-894B-4EDF-8BDC-2EC1494E20B7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 0C44A936-0FB9-4157-B593-750B3E12F8F0.jpeg
    0C44A936-0FB9-4157-B593-750B3E12F8F0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a uromastyx and a bearded dragon together and they are best of friends BUT you need to understand them - my beardie is really docile- I have had 6 beardies before him, all with different temperaments and 2 were aggressive so NO WAY would I have but the uro in with them but this one’s a sweetheart and our uro loves him. I keep the basking end hotter with a cool end, they eat the same veggies, uro has trill and when beardie has worms or hoppers (not too often) I have a small tank I feed him in. So it’s about knowing your pet and give it a try
Except species should not be mixed in the small environments we provide for them. There's a big difference when in the wild, all the species that live "together". It's a wide open space for them to have their own territory and get away from anything it doesn't want too be with. Our small enclosures, even if very large, can never be the size of the territory they come from. It's very risky mixing them and if it goes wrong the animal, who had no choice, pays for it.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

They absolutely are not friends, and them sitting on top of each other is likely a sign of dominance. These are solitary animals that don’t have the concept of “friendship”, and they really should be separated. And that’s not even mentioning all of the diseases that mixing species can spread.

They also require different care, with uromastyxes needing extremely high temps, a different diet, and a loose substrate.