using only a mercury vapor lamp for UV?

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
Ussually I use both a mercury vapor lamp AND a vitalite( stick UV light) for WIllow during the winter months and indoors.. Well the lamp burned out well before it was supposed to ( only 3 months old), I tried a different tube in the fixture and it lit up but it's not a UV light. WIllow hasn't had her stick type since the 2nd week of september when it blew out. I have been using only her mercury vapor lamp ( only two months of use) since then for heat and UV. I was wondering.. Will she be OK untill her new bulb arrives ( I order from that pet place) since it takes a couple weeks or so and the idiots messed up my order so now I have to call and straighten it out? She still eats ALOT and not much change in her activity but I did notice her plastron is not as hard as it once once. No bulging anywhere though. WIllow always has access to cuttle bone daily. next time I will get her supplies elsewhere.. this is the third time they have messed up.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
That's what MVB are used for, UV rays, light and heat. When my sulcata was young, I used an MVB and a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat. At night it stayed warm as well as during the day, along with the UV rays entering.