Using plastic storage bin as closed chamber

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
So I just learned about housing baby torts in a closed chamber setups instead of the more popular open air tortoise table. I just got my Hoppy, a leopard tortoise 2 weeks ago and had him in an open air tub. But I was worried about him showing signs of pyramiding when I first got him. The breeder says it's about 3 months old but told me that the raised scutes aren't pyramiding. He had him in a similar open air tub like I did (pic below).
IMG_4152.JPG

This is Hops close up view of his scutes. Can anyone confirm whether this is or isn't pyramiding? I can't tell with a baby this small as it's my first tort and I'm still trying to get the hang of things.
IMG_4278.JPG IMG_4280.JPG

Also, I converted his setup to a closed chamber today. Basically just a 50 gallon plastic storage bin. I split the lid in half so that I can access the inside without disturbing the heat lamp. The cord of the lamp is fitted through a slit I made on the other half of the lid so it's fully inside the enclsoure. The setup goes under my reptile rack so it's not hard to mount the lighting with the wire shelf on top. Figured I'd share since this setup literally only cost me $20, for others who are working on a budget.
IMG_4274.JPG IMG_4275.JPG
IMG_4281.JPG

Still need to get a CHE to keep up temps at night (until then Hop goes into a tub in my snake rack to stay warm at night without having a light bothering him). I also took away the UVB cuz I read about the dangers of coil bulbs. With this said, do I still need to supply UVB if I plan to let him bask in the sun in his outdoor enclosure when the weather is nice? I live in Florida so we get pretty nice days year round. How often would he need to go out in order to not need artificial UVB? Just trying to see how many more lamps need to be fitted into the lid so I can start making adjustments. Thanks for any feedback!

IMG_4281.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4277.JPG
    IMG_4277.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 82

Aaron Reynolds

Portland, OR
Are you able to keep the grass alive for long, or does it die off fairly quick? Also, does he have someplace to hide in the new bigger enclosure?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I believe if you can get your tort outside for a few hours a couple times a week, that should be enough UV exposure. However, babies do better kept in their enclosures as much as possible. You could swap out your heat bulb with a mercury vapor bulb to get both heat and UV in one bulb.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
So I just learned about housing baby torts in a closed chamber setups instead of the more popular open air tortoise table. I just got my Hoppy, a leopard tortoise 2 weeks ago and had him in an open air tub. But I was worried about him showing signs of pyramiding when I first got him. The breeder says it's about 3 months old but told me that the raised scutes aren't pyramiding. He had him in a similar open air tub like I did (pic below).
View attachment 225316

This is Hops close up view of his scutes. Can anyone confirm whether this is or isn't pyramiding? I can't tell with a baby this small as it's my first tort and I'm still trying to get the hang of things.
View attachment 225320 View attachment 225321

Also, I converted his setup to a closed chamber today. Basically just a 50 gallon plastic storage bin. I split the lid in half so that I can access the inside without disturbing the heat lamp. The cord of the lamp is fitted through a slit I made on the other half of the lid so it's fully inside the enclsoure. The setup goes under my reptile rack so it's not hard to mount the lighting with the wire shelf on top. Figured I'd share since this setup literally only cost me $20, for others who are working on a budget.
View attachment 225317 View attachment 225318
View attachment 225322

Still need to get a CHE to keep up temps at night (until then Hop goes into a tub in my snake rack to stay warm at night without having a light bothering him). I also took away the UVB cuz I read about the dangers of coil bulbs. With this said, do I still need to supply UVB if I plan to let him bask in the sun in his outdoor enclosure when the weather is nice? I live in Florida so we get pretty nice days year round. How often would he need to go out in order to not need artificial UVB? Just trying to see how many more lamps need to be fitted into the lid so I can start making adjustments. Thanks for any feedback!

I have this same setup to combat the the pyramiding also. But I want to say thank u for showing me ur lid setup. I never thought of cutting lid in half. I have My ceramic heater and my uvb hanging inside mine But every time I open lid to feed or soak him. I have to take lid all the way off with lights and heater dangling and I gotta find a safe spot to set it where I don't set anything on fire with the heater lol and I let out a lot of precious humidity. So thank you for showing this it is going to help me greatly.

Michael Malone

Dallas, Tx
I have this same setup to combat the the pyramiding also. But I want to say thank u for showing me ur lid setup. I never thought of cutting lid in half. I have My ceramic heater and my uvb hanging inside mine But every time I open lid to feed or soak him. I have to take lid all the way off with lights and heater dangling and I gotta find a safe spot to set it where I don't set anything on fire with the heater lol and I let out a lot of precious humidity. So thank you for showing this it is going to help me greatly.

Also what kind of substrate are u using. And what is ur humidity staying at most of the time

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that IS the start of pyramiding. You've caught it in time to stop it. Your closed chamber idea is clever. Like Michael, I never considered cutting the lid in half.

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
Yeah I got the idea of splitting the lid so that I could access it without disturbing the lights. I have other reptiles in my room too and I don't like anything hanging or attached to the lid. The only downside is that annoying gap between the halves of the lid because the plastic sags a bit once cut. But even with that gap, humidity is well maintained above 82%.

Substrate is the cheap $2 topsoil from Home Depot, mixed with coconut chips and sphagnum moss. I've only had Hoppy for 2 weeks and so far the grass is still alive with the light inside the enclosure. And it's growing too. If it fails I might replace it with Bermuda grass seeds. I just bought the st Augustine sod from Home Depot.

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
I made a hide using black coroplast from Home Depot, it's just corrugated plastic that I cut and glued together into a box with hot glue

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Fresno, CA
You could put a yard stick, cut to fit, across the middle to help support the two halves of the lid.

It says lengthwise so I'll have to try if it works. But the humidity is perfect right now so I might just leave it be. It used to seal up pretty nicely until I hooked the cord of the thermostat off the side, might just need to cut a hole for it so the lid can shut properly. I do want to make a window so I can see inside without opening the top though. So another option is to cover the window with a clear shower curtain that attaches via Velcro so I can peel it on and off. That way I can just tape up the lid to lock in humidity better. Is there a max limit on humidity inside closed chambers? I think if I went with the shower curtain window the humidity might likely bump to 90-100

Prairie Mom

Are you able to keep the grass alive for long, or does it die off fairly quick? Also, does he have someplace to hide in the new bigger enclosure?
Best thing to do is get shade grass and grow near a window outside of the enclosure. I've done it many times.

daniellenc

Maryland
If they’re outside a few hours a week you’re good but UV never hurts to have on hand. You can get a CHE fairly cheap from Amazon for night heat but your chamber looks great very creative!

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico
These posts have saved my sanity and I hope will help Jack regain his health, he is not eating at all. Long story short I have to separate him from Lizzie (although we don’t know their sexes). I’m going to copy your plastic bin today, I think he will be able to rest and have the humidity necessary to regain his health. My only issue is with not being able to see him. I might install a small security camera I’m not using, to monitor him. Thank you Sticky Feets for your great idea

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
These posts have saved my sanity and I hope will help Jack regain his health, he is not eating at all. Long story short I have to separate him from Lizzie (although we don’t know their sexes). I’m going to copy your plastic bin today, I think he will be able to rest and have the humidity necessary to regain his health. My only issue is with not being able to see him. I might install a small security camera I’m not using, to monitor him. Thank you Sticky Feets for your great idea
I used one of these for my tortScreenshot_20180914-105420.png

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

They need to be separated regardless of gender. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs.

Please create a post to introduce yourself :)