UV bulb?

soflo

What type do you use? Do you have to use the expensive one from the pet store? Can you get a cheaper one that works the same from home depot? I was sold a coil uv bulb and now am told not to use a coil one. The one at the pet store is like 40 bucks. Let me know thanks..

Sorry I many UV***

Jenblalock003

soflo said:
What type do you use? Do you have to use the expensive one from the pet store? Can you get a cheaper one that works the same from home depot? I was sold a coil uv bulb and now am told not to use a coil one. The one at the pet store is like 40 bucks. Let me know thanks..

Sorry I many UV***

Everyone on here will tell you the coil lights will cause damage to their eyes. I bought a mercury vapor bulb that produces both heat and UV. Please change that coil light.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I use the “Powersun" mercury vapor uv producing bulb. These are referred to as MVB's. These provide a spot/flood beam of heat as well as providing the needed uv a reptile needs to utilize the calcium in foods with the manufacturing of d3 in the body. Yes, the coil bulbs have been implicated in blindness and other damage to reptile eyes. Doesn't happen to all of them, but why take the risk, right? I purchase my MVB's of eBay for somewhere around half the pet store prices. Just make sure to use a ceramic socket that is rated for the wattage bulb you use. Hope this helps.

mikeh

5 Year Member
The bulb needs to be specifically labeled as reptile MVB, producing UVB.

MVB at home depot do not produce UVB and are not to be used as UVB source.
Your options are Internet or pet store.