UV during the winter.

betturbutter

5 Year Member
I live in southern California. This will be the first winter for my hatchling sulcata. Will I need a UV light for the winter or will it be ok to take my sulcata outside for the sun even though it will be a little cold?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
If I remember correctly, you have a hatchling correct? If it's a small baby, I personally would'nt bring it outside if it gets below 75 degrees. Sometimes it takes some time for the grass to dry from the cold night, causing it to be cold for your little one. My sulcata is just over 8 inches in length, so I feel like it's okay to be just a little colder, but not much. it's good for exercise as well. I would keep the UV light in your tank.Just my opinion. Others will chime in and give their advice.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many factors to consider. I sun my hatchling sulcatas when its 60-65, but only whets sunny, no wind, and I do it in a black tub with no substrate. The surface of the tubs gets 90-95 and I check their carapace temps early and often. I get them sun at least once or twice a week all through winter, and so I don't need any artificial UV. It is no problem if they need to go two or three weeks with no sun in the winter, as long as they get it often for the rest of the year.

If you are concerned abut it, there is no harm in running an indoor UV tube or MVB. Just don't let the pet store talk you into a coil type cfl IV bulb.

betturbutter

5 Year Member
Tom said:
There are many factors to consider. I sun my hatchling sulcatas when its 60-65, but only whets sunny, no wind, and I do it in a black tub with no substrate. The surface of the tubs gets 90-95 and I check their carapace temps early and often. I get them sun at least once or twice a week all through winter, and so I don't need any artificial UV. It is no problem if they need to go two or three weeks with no sun in the winter, as long as they get it often for the rest of the year.

If you are concerned abut it, there is no harm in running an indoor UV tube or MVB. Just don't let the pet store talk you into a coil type cfl IV bulb.

Do you use the black dish tub that walmart sales or one that you can store clothes or other items in?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After I got over the copious spelling errors in my post above...

I use either the big plastic cement mixing tubs from Home Depot ($12) or I have some 3x5' black rubber tubs (about $100) that I special ordered from a building supply place.

betturbutter

5 Year Member
Tom said:
After I got over the copious spelling errors in my post above...

I use either the big plastic cement mixing tubs from Home Depot ($12) or I have some 3x5' black rubber tubs (about $100) that I special ordered from a building supply place.

Thank you. Do you put some sort of cover over the tub?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
betturbutter said:
Thank you. Do you put some sort of cover over the tub?

Not usually. I don't really have a predator problem for this application. Several people and lots of dogs and other animals are moving around nearby, so no predators come around.

If your situation is different, no harm in making a 2x4 frame and covering it with welded wire. Welded wire will block very little sunshine or UV.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I do the same as Tom is suggesting with the cement tubs during the winter (from south Louisiana). I do provide one corner of shade in case the forecast is off and the tub gets hotter than expected.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
diamondbp said:
I do the same as Tom is suggesting with the cement tubs during the winter (from south Louisiana). I do provide one corner of shade in case the forecast is off and the tub gets hotter than expected.

In my tubs, due to the lower angle of the sun in winter and the relatively high sides of the tub, there is already shade, even at noon. I only do this when I am right there in and around the area, and usually only for an hour or two tops. I watch them and the temps very closely during these winter sunning sessions. Much more so than when I put them in their regular summer sunning enclosures.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
Is it okay to leave the little guy inside with no lamps then for a few days? I only ask because I'm leaving town for a couple of days and I don't trust anyone to take care of my little guy. By doing this I do expect him to just sleep and be inactive. Is that okay? Or should I find a way for him to be looked after?

He's about 5 months old, by the way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
wildchild6771 said:
Is it okay to leave the little guy inside with no lamps then for a few days? I only ask because I'm leaving town for a couple of days and I don't trust anyone to take care of my little guy. By doing this I do expect him to just sleep and be inactive. Is that okay? Or should I find a way for him to be looked after?

He's about 5 months old, by the way.

Please start your own thread for this.

In my opinion, no. Its not okay to leave him cold and dark for a couple of days. That's what light timers are for.