UV Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joiner

5 Year Member
Beautiful day out in Delaware. 83°, feels like 89°.....but the UV index is "very high: 8" So that got me checking to see if there's such a thing as too much UV. All of the searches came up with are old outdated posts about some bulbs making reptiles go blind and have issues. Does anyone know what the limit is for natural UV index? My skin feels like it's cooking when I sit out in the sun, don't want to fry our babies.

MnM10

5 Year Member
From what I know it should be fine but you also need to have places for your tort to hide in the outside enclosure. Shady, cool spots and water for hydration.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
While they cannot overdose from vitamin D made by UVB rays, they can suffer from heat or sun exposure issues. Make sure they have adequate hides, shade, and cool-off opportunities.

byles01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
i agree, not from light, BUT it is possible for them to get vit. D toxicity from supplements, but thats a whole different topic i guess, just make sure the little guys have hide spots and are able to get out of the UV light for at least 8 hours a day so they can process the UV. (dont let them spend all day out in the sun, then bring them in and stick them under a UV lamp. i know someone would ask "where does the sunshine 24 hours?" ):)

Joiner

5 Year Member
We don't have an outdoor setup just yet, we just take them out and let them have some sun time and eat as much as they want. When they start moving around looking for shade we take them back in. Just moved into a new apartment. On the back patio we have a 300 gallon pond that we're going to fill with soil and plant some grass and weeds for an outdoor pen type thing. They're still really young. Thank you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.