UV Light replacement and recyclling?

Bridgebob

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington, Virginia
I have a baby Eastern Box Turtle. Her UV lamp is almost a year old. It is fluorescent.

When do I need to replace them and how do I recycle them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a baby Eastern Box Turtle. Her UV lamp is almost a year old. It is fluorescent.

When do I need to replace them and how do I recycle them?
You need a Solarmeter 6.5 to determine the UV output of your bulb and when to replace it. I know of no way to recycle the bulbs, and this is another reason to not simply replace it after a certain period of time. I've had bulbs last 2-3 years without diminished UV output. Think what a waste it would be to be replacing those bulbs every 6-12 months as is usually recommended.

What type of UV bulb are you using?

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
You need a Solarmeter 6.5 to determine the UV output of your bulb and when to replace it. I know of no way to recycle the bulbs, and this is another reason to not simply replace it after a certain period of time. I've had bulbs last 2-3 years without diminished UV output. Think what a waste it would be to be replacing those bulbs every 6-12 months as is usually recommended.

What type of UV bulb are you using?
A ZOO-MED REPTISUN 5.0 UVB

13 watts AC - 120 V/60 HZ.

It says to replace yearly.

I agree if I do not need to replace this bulb yearly that would be great.

She doesn't even seem to want to sun bathe now. During the summer she would spend literally days under her lamps.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A ZOO-MED REPTISUN 5.0 UVB

13 watts AC - 120 V/60 HZ.

It says to replace yearly.

I agree if I do not need to replace this bulb yearly that would be great.

She doesn't even seem to want to sun bathe now. During the summer she would spend literally days under her lamps.
They make different types of ZooMed Reptisun bulbs. is it a cfl type bulb that you screw in, or is it a long tube? The cfl types sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used. 5.0 bulbs make very little UV and are a waste of money.

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
They make different types of ZooMed Reptisun bulbs. is it a cfl type bulb that you screw in, or is it a long tube? The cfl types sometimes burn their eyes and should not be used. 5.0 bulbs make very little UV and are a waste of money.
Yes, it's a screw in 5.0.

If I can get a good screw in to replace it that would be great.

I was wondering why she spent days under this bulb.