UV Lights - SolarGlo sucks!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I have three PowerSuns, 3 ReptiSun 24" fluorescents, and one SolarGlo.

This SolarGlo (purchased on Amazon, NIB) flashes on at off for 30 minutes when first turned on. It's really starting to irritate me, and my poor Greek goes and hides under a bush until is decides to stay on.

Anyone else have this problem!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have seen that problem with all the MVBs. Irritating for sure.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
My PowerSuns rarely do this, and if they do "flicker" it's just a few times. This thing is STILL flickering, and it's been 20 minutes. If I had $40, I'd take a hammer to it and order an new PS.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Over the years I have had PSs do it to. I think its just something in the mfg process.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have had ps do it too. I do think the ps are the best ones, that's all I use. When I switched the fixture, it stopped doing it. Sometimes I think the fixtures, although will still work, I think the heat of the bulbs does something to the fixture to make the bulb flicker. Not sure, but seems that way.

mikeh

5 Year Member
People don't realize enough that most of MVBs are just a poor choice for UVB.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mikeh said:

Except, they give out the most. Plus it's three in one. Light, heat and UVB. Why do you say they are a poor choice? Or are only a few of them a poor choice?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: UV Lights - SolarGlo sucks!

wellington said:
mikeh said:

Except, they give out the most. Plus it's three in one. Light, heat and UVB. Why do you say they are a poor choice? Or are only a few of them a poor choice?

They give out the most as compared to what? Do you mind pointing me to the source of your info other then manufacturer ramble? Have you measured the output after a month or two to see for yourself? If you do little research you may find much of independent testing shows UVB output after initial burn in period to be equivalent that of deep shade and UVA equivalent that of midday tropical sun at the equator. (MegaRay is the exception)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
When I first started keeping tortoises, I did a lot of reading...tortoise forums, scientific articles, manufacturer testing, etc. I also talked to several reptile DVMs who's opinion and experience I trusted. Seems the MegaRay is the best (both quality, quantity, longevity, structurally), next was PowerSun, then SolarGlo

I tried to buy a MegaRay, but I got no reply from several emails, and read somewhere on this forum that a few members ordered theirs, and months later still no delivery.
So I found PowerSun on Amazon, $45 shipped, received within days. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
I found this SolarGlo for $20. I tried it for a bit, got tired of the flickering, put it away, then decided to change a few enclosures this weekend, and added it to my Greeks new house. I forgot about the incessant flickering!!!!!

mikeh said:
...equivalent that of deep shade and UVA equivalent that of midday tropical sun at the equator. (MegaRay is the exception)

Have you had better success at purchasing MegaRays?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Better success yes, but not without few weeks of continuous phone calls. The bulb is well built and was worth the aggregation. I have resorted to better alternative of the new age T5 HO UVB tubes since.

Perhaps many years ago MVBs initial UVB output did in fact beat the old T8 tubes. Not today, not with the T5 High Output Zoomed 10% and Arcadia 12% tubes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So what did you find out when measuring the output of the mvb? I didn't get my info from the manufactures. I got it from a couple breeders, a pet store owner and then this forum. When I placed my order, then I did see the manufactures info. They all said to use the mvb, they were the best and closest to the output of the sun of any other bulb. This was only two years ago.
Also, what is the measurements of the T5 HO compared to the MVB's? If you wouldn't mind sharing your info:D
Thanks

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

mikeh said:
Better success yes, but not without few weeks of continuous phone calls. The bulb is well built and was worth the aggregation. I have resorted to better alternative of the new age T5 HO UVB tubes since.

Perhaps many years ago MVBs initial UVB output did in fact beat the old T8 tubes. Not today, not with the T5 High Output Zoomed 10% and Arcadia 12% tubes.

Bingo, we have a winner, T5 HO out performs. And as heat is a 24 hour need it should be independent of illumination and UV light.

cvasta

5 Year Member
texas
Sulcata_Sandy said:

This SolarGlo (purchased on Amazon, NIB) flashes on at off for 30 minutes when first turned on. It's really starting to irritate me, and my poor Greek goes and hides under a bush until is decides to stay on.

Is the SolarGlo on a fixture that has a dimmer switch on it?? i had the same problem cause the fixture i bought from the pet store had a dimmer on it.

mikeh

5 Year Member

wellington said:
So what did you find out when measuring the output of the mvb? I didn't get my info from the manufactures. I got it from a couple breeders, a pet store owner and then this forum. When I placed my order, then I did see the manufactures info. They all said to use the mvb, they were the best and closest to the output of the sun of any other bulb. This was only two years ago.
Also, what is the measurements of the T5 HO compared to the MVB's? If you wouldn't mind sharing your info:D
Thanks

To understand the reading values and to make comparison, first lets take a look at suns UVB output.

Mid morning summer sun output in northeast USA: 200-220 microwats
Midday output: 300-350 microwats
Shade: 20-80 microwats
Dense shade: 5-15 microwats

My reading of Zoomed Power Sun after 4weeks was 20microwats. Arcadia T5HO 12% was at 150microwats at 15". Zoomed T5HO 10% was only slightly lower at 142microwats. These are readings with high quality specular aluminum reflectors in T5 fixtures for enhanced performance, important part to maximize UVB output.

More valuable info can be found on yahoogroups UVB meter forum, uvguide site and folks on chemelon forums are obsessed with UVB going into details of their reading.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
cvasta said:
Sulcata_Sandy said:

Is the SolarGlo on a fixture that has a dimmer switch on it?? i had the same problem cause the fixture i bought from the pet store had a dimmer on it.

Nope, no dimmer. Ceramic base and an on/off switch. This morning it's been flickering for over an hour. Prob time to take it out back and shoot it, and give Larry back his T8 tube.

Any input on those T8 ReptiSuns?

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I ordered a mega ray way back in Sept (or was it August) and no word yet. Now I am wondering; will they just rob me? My $60 is long gone. I emailed a month ago. I guess its time for some phone calls. I had heard it may take a while but this really is ridiculous.
Since then I have bought new enclosures and likely can't use the mvb now. But since I paid, I still want it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Today is my birthday!
Earth
AnnV said:
I ordered a mega ray way back in Sept (or was it August) and no word yet. Now I am wondering; will they just rob me? My $60 is long gone. I emailed a month ago. I guess its time for some phone calls. I had heard it may take a while but this really is ridiculous.
Since then I have bought new enclosures and likely can't use the mvb now. But since I paid, I still want it.

Phone calls usually work best with them. How did you pay? That will determine how easy it will be to get a refund.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Yes it is ridiculous. After going thru same ordeal while back, I started calling. At first once a week, then every second day and finally every day making it a nice, calm, but oh soooo lengthy conversation each time. Eventually the bulb came.

I have since turned to better customer service and quality of T5HO Arcadia and Zoomed.