Uvb and glass/plexi glass

swatsx

5 Year Member
Ok in plans for my new sulcata (I dot own one yet) I'm thinking since I live in mi I need a good outdoor heated box, saw and loved toms builds thinking of doing a 4' x 5' heated plywood box... Now I was also thinking of doing a sorta green house on the front that's the same size it's probly have a plywood floor PVC or wood frame and plexi glass top and sides it'd be 4'x5' also and be almost like a sun porch... My thoughts would be that the sun would help with the heating of the "house" and the sully could come out and catch some sun even in the coldest of winter... Would the uvb from the sun be blocked by the glass?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would say yes . More than likely. Most glass will filter out any usable uvb. So you can always mount a fixture on the enclosure.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
If your thinking plexi glass get a sml
4x4 inch square and rub it 10 or 20
Times with a paper towel ( wet or dry )
And see how cloudy it gets so if you have it only 5 years how's it going to look but it will not break !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
UVB will not go through most glass or plexiglass or plastic. However, using the green house idea for winter roaming and heat is still a good idea. However, be sure you have a way also to release some of that heat. If it's in full sun all day, it MAY get too hot too. You can always provide a UVB light.

swatsx

5 Year Member
I don't how id do it but I was thinking of doing a thermostate one that turns heat on when it's lower them 80 and one that turns a fan on when it's over 90 still don't have a tort yet so I have plenty of time to figure things out