UVB bulb comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I use a full spectrum florescent right now but was just wondering which product people thought was better... The Zoo Med ReptiSun Tropical Compact Fluorescent UVB or the Zilla Tropical 25 UVB Fluorescent 13 Watt Coil Bulb?

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have good luck with the ReptiSun from ZooMed, I do not know about Zilla. The coil bulbs get a bad rap here on the forum, so I would/do not risk using them!

I mostly use the ZooMed PowerSun MVBulb, and have been happy!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Betts is right, the coil bulbs have been known to blind and even kill. I think it was Maggie who had that experience, and it's only the coil bulbs that have been implicated (I think).

vickyb

5 Year Member
Oh great. I have TWO UVB coil bulbs. 26 Watts .. with some 5.0 on it.. this is for my enclosure that is 36" x 19" x 19"

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Someone will get on here soon with the details, but I am pretty sure you need to get rid of any coil bulbs ASAP, or you may have blind tortoises. They are especially lethal to hatchlings.

Your local pet store or hardware store will have lots of other options, some relatively inexpensive.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
You want a lamp with a high UVB rating. Look for labels like Desert 10.0.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Well I don't have any coil ones luckily... I have 'fFlorescent tube lighting

KQ6AR

10 Year Member!
Concord, CA
If you want a florescent I've heard the 10.0 is OK, but don't waste you're money on the 5.0
Also hear of tortoises going blind from the coil type pc bulbs

Personally I use the 100W t-rex active uv buld, & like it. Its an incondescend bulb & acts as a heat lamp.

The highlighter

5 Year Member
I never knew the coil bulbs were bad.... I have used them with a beardie and painted turtles for years with great success, But I switched to Mercury vapor bulbs when I saw they were on sale..... Well I guess I will stay away from them now. I stopped using them last year

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
i also wouldnt reccomend the coil lights, sometimes there too fragile and they break. always go with bulbs!

Status
Not open for further replies.