UVB bulb help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brita21

5 Year Member
I just recently read that UVB coil bulbs are not safe to use and can cause blinding, but i also read that this problem has been fixed, and these bulbs are now safe to use?
I have two baby sulcatas... I am currently using an exo terra terrarium repti glo 10.0 26w... is this safe to be using? IF not, what should their bulb be replaced with?!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I do not use that particular bulb myself. Have you noticed any problems? Use as directed and keep an eye on them. The distance and type of reflector used can make a big difference.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I agree with Jaizei.... An will also add for peace of mind...if you didn't experience any problems within the first few days while the bulb was burning in I wouldn't be to concerned...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi brita21:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

My personal choice is the MVB (mercury vapor bulb) because it is heat and UVB all in one bulb/fixture. I use a 100 watt bulb over a 4' long baby habitat. The bulb is on one end. Then for night time, I have a fixture with a 60 watt black bulb over the other end. If I find that the habitat isn't warm enough, I cover it.

Because I've seen first hand the swollen, painful eyes on baby tortoise, I just don't want to ever take a chance with the spiral bulbs. I'll never use them, I don't care how often "they" say the problem is fixed.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
Welcome to the forum!! I have read in recent times that the coil uvb's are very bad for the eyes, especially the 10.0. I use a Zoomed powersun supplemented with a 2700K and 6500K T5 bulb fixture. Works very well for me. But hey, I'm new to this.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is dang little research out there that nails this issue down tight, but based on several studies, reports from keepers, and my own experience I am going to discontinue my MVB when the cashflow allows and switch.

My current reasoning is that lighting needs to accomplish many things at once-
- balanced white light for proper eye health and general viewing,
- dawn and dusk periods to help with the sleep cycle,
- UVA and UVB in the right ratios making sure to provide enough of the upper end of UVB, near UVC, for proper vitamin D, eye development, brain gland stimulation, etc.
- ambient temperatures to some degree

After all, sunlight does this, and it is not stronger 'here' than it is a foot away unless there is some form of shade, etc. More and more I think providing a low level of UVB across the habitat is the safest, healthiest option. My next set-up will feature a moderately low wattage, low output UVB bulb, coupled with a low wattage 'daylight' fluorescent or standard incandescent bulb that will run for a few more hours a day than the UVB.

Lots of shade and several hides, a CHE or two, and my beloved waterproof heating rope in the substrate should take care of things nicely. Besides, this way, if one thing goes wrong, I have a backup until it can be repaired or replaced.

ewam

5 Year Member
Southern Ca.
Madkins007 said:
There is dang little research out there that nails this issue down tight, but based on several studies, reports from keepers, and my own experience I am going to discontinue my MVB when the cashflow allows and switch.

My current reasoning is that lighting needs to accomplish many things at once-
- balanced white light for proper eye health and general viewing,
- dawn and dusk periods to help with the sleep cycle,
- UVA and UVB in the right ratios making sure to provide enough of the upper end of UVB, near UVC, for proper vitamin D, eye development, brain gland stimulation, etc.
- ambient temperatures to some degree

After all, sunlight does this, and it is not stronger 'here' than it is a foot away unless there is some form of shade, etc. More and more I think providing a low level of UVB across the habitat is the safest, healthiest option. My next set-up will feature a moderately low wattage, low output UVB bulb, coupled with a low wattage 'daylight' fluorescent or standard incandescent bulb that will run for a few more hours a day than the UVB.

Lots of shade and several hides, a CHE or two, and my beloved waterproof heating rope in the substrate should take care of things nicely. Besides, this way, if one thing goes wrong, I have a backup until it can be repaired or replaced.

What specific brands of UVB lights do you use.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Status
Not open for further replies.