UVB bulb

lmwelland

Location (City and/or State)
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi Everyone!

I was just reading some info on how coil UVB bulbs are bad for torts. We are using the Exo Terra UVB 100 - 26 watt bulb. It's a coil type bulb (see attached photo). Is this bulb bad? What is the best bulb on the market in the opinion of the experienced tortoise owners out there?

Thanks
LisaImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1408312549.311537.jpg

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi, Lisa. Yes, the coil bulbs are very controversial. There are numerous reports of reptiles suffering severe eye damage and blindness.

Exo-Terra makes linear bulbs (the tubes), which works well. See if you can take that bulb back to the store and exchange it. If they won't exchange it, it's a good bulb for growing plants.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am also a fan of the ZooMed PowerSun 100 watt bulb. It is the only kind that I use for my tortoises basking area. They have a great guarantee and ZooMed stands behind their products. If you get one be sure to save your receipt as it is guaranteed for 1 year.

Flipper

MO, USA
I am a fan of the powersun bulb. Heat and uv all in one.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I am also a fan of the ZooMed PowerSun 100 watt bulb. It is the only kind that I use for my tortoises basking area. They have a great guarantee and ZooMed stands behind their products. If you get one be sure to save your receipt as it is guaranteed for 1 year.
Why do you both favor these MVB over the long tube UV light? Is it only the 2/1 factor or is the MVB more effective at emitting better or more UVB?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Why do you both favor these MVB over the long tube UV light? Is it only the 2/1 factor or is the MVB more effective at emitting better or more UVB?

To me its the heat and uv in one. Can't say with the long tubes because I do not use them but my power sun gives good readings. I have a solar raptor uv system too which is really pricey but best out there for artificial as far as I know.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA

I like it because it works as a basking bulb with UBV source all in one.

mikeh

5 Year Member
This bulb falls under controversial CLFs causing possible eye problems.

Since you live in a region where your tortoise will spend much of the year utilizing artificial UVB it would be wise to invest into high quality long tube UVB bulb or high quality MVB. Arcadia 3D+ long tube or Megaray MVB are some of higher quality products.
Solar meter 6.5 or 6.2 is recommended to measure bulbs UVB output. Any UVB bulb can be defective or fail prematurely, not producing UVB even if they turn on.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I use a tube 10.0 t8 uvb lamp . I like it because it not to bright and spreads the uvb across the whole enclosure . They last longer .

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
As others have noted, the coil bulbs are not really the best for animals such as growing young tortoises. They can be adapted for use with animals that need it to metabolize calcium, but you'd need to mount them across the entire cage like a tube fluorescent - which often eliminates both the inexpensive and the "takes up less space" reasons that people buy those types of lights.

The MVBs work well as they tend to provide a hot, bright light that heats up the animals and produces lots of UVB, much like the sun. This results in more behaviors similar to what the animal would exhibit in the wild, plus increased appetite, better growth, and all around a healthier animal. Tube fluorescents and basking bulbs do still offer you more flexibility in heating, as you can hook a basking bulb up to a thermostat, but most of the time, an MVB works extremely well at handling all aspects of heat and light (including UVB) in one bulb.

I am very fond of using the different coil bulbs to illuminate vivariums or to display animals that do not need UVB to thrive (such as snakes, nocturnal geckos, and similar animals), but for large enclosures that need either intense UVB at the basking source (MVB bulbs) or low intensity UVB across the entire enclosure (tube fluorescent), you'll want to stick to the more traditional lighting options.

-Jen

lmwelland

Nova Scotia, Canada
I think we're going to go with a MVB system...sounds like the general consensus is that these are reliable and safe.

Given that our little guy is only 3 months old and is in a small 2'x3' terrarium, are there any concerns with using an MVB light in a smaller enclosure like that?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
I think we're going to go with a MVB system...sounds like the general consensus is that these are reliable and safe.

Given that our little guy is only 3 months old and is in a small 2'x3' terrarium, are there any concerns with using an MVB light in a smaller enclosure like that?

What's the foot print? 2' x 3'? That would be fine for a 100 watt powersun; I have used them comfortably on cages that are 2' x 2' square. Look into getting a lamp stand so you can adjust the light higher if needed. :)

-Jen

lmwelland

Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, the foot print is 2'x3'. We've got a stand already. I assume height adjustment is primarily for temperature control? What is the maximum distance from the substrate that the MVB light can be positioned before it is no longer effective at delivering UVB?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
For temperature control and brightness, it should ideally not be closer than 10" to the tortoise. Maximum distance is about 20" - 24" or so; at that distance, though, it's likely that you're not going to see much in the way of heat at your tortoise's level.

-Jen