UVB compact

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsleyhawk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
derbyshire
i had been using an exo-terra repti glo 10 compact uvb lamp for 3 days and polly my little russian tort wont open her eyes i have now read up on it and wont be using that lamp again i think i did have the lamp a bit low so have now moved the lamp holder so in stead of hanging down its now horizontal and higher up but is there a compact uvb lamp on the market that i can use are them arcadia lamps any good with a deflector please help i cant get my head round all the info

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not familiar with that brand. Is that the coil type florescent? I've never used that type, but I've seen it repeatedly here on the forum, that those burn and damage their eyes. If thats what you've got, take it out immediately. Replace with one of the mercury vapor type bulbs or a regular incandescent, if your tortoise gets regular sunshine.

pugsleyhawk

5 Year Member
derbyshire
yes it is a coil bulb there an awful lamp by the reports i read every where i already have a heat lamp in there what is the min distance between the tortoise and those mvb lamps

she doesnt get regular sunshine as weather to bad at min hoping as summer comes to put her out as much as i can but she is only a baby at min i stopped using that compact coil yesterday

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
pugsleyhawk said:
yes it is a coil bulb there an awful lamp by the reports i read every where i already have a heat lamp in there what is the min distance between the tortoise and those mvb lamps

she doesnt get regular sunshine as weather to bad at min hoping as summer comes to put her out as much as i can but she is only a baby at min i stopped using that compact coil yesterday

They give you suggested distances on the package when you buy a MVB. It depends on which type (spot or flood), brand and wattage you get. I use the manufacturers recommendation as a starting point, but ALWAYS use a thermometer to make sure you are getting enough, but not too much, heat in YOUR enclosure in YOUR house. I nearly burned down my house following the manufacturers suggestion of 18" for a 100 watt spot bulb one time. Other times, I've had to move that same type of bulb to 14 or 15". Bottom line is CHECK IT, early and often. Make adjustments to the height when necessary.

pugsleyhawk

5 Year Member
derbyshire
i would need to redesign my tort table to fit an mvb lamp thats why was hoping there was a compact uvb flo lamp out there that would do the job

M

Maggie Cummings

The compact fluorescent have been know to cause eye problems as you are seeing. I would get a different bulb a long tube or a Trex bulb and start treating your tortoise immediately. I seriously mean for you to stop using that bulb now, right now!
Here read this....I had a Sulcata yearling who was blinded by a compact bulb...you can use a normal household bulb while you are getting a new UVB bulb...

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm#intro

pugsleyhawk

5 Year Member
derbyshire
i read that yesterday thats why i stopped using the lamp yesterday she is being treated and im not going to use anything for a couple of days till shes ok in the mean time i need to find a suitable alternative for uvb without the need for an MVB if poss other wise il have to totally redesign my table

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think there is an ADEQUATE substitute. The only success I've had with artificial UV is from a MVB. The pet store people will sell you all kinds of stuff, that's there job, but I, personally, don't think it will help your tortoise.

Maybe you could post a pic of your enclosure and one of the more clever members here will come up with a novel solution.

pugsleyhawk

5 Year Member
derbyshire
cheers roachman i have decided to go and get a mvb lamp today and just temp redesign her enclosure till i build her a new and bigger one in the next few month i not going to worry to much about the look of the inclosure as long as she is happy and healthy

pugsleyhawk

5 Year Member
derbyshire
been out bought a new fitting and a mvb lamp so hope she will be sorted now she has today opened her eyes and she looking round and can see again so even better.
im not going to turn the new 1 on for another day or so yet though

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
pugsleyhawk said:
been out bought a new fitting and a mvb lamp so hope she will be sorted now she has today opened her eyes and she looking round and can see again so even better.
im not going to turn the new 1 on for another day or so yet though

I have the same light and my tortoise is also experiencing this. Doesn't help that he's also sick right now but after seeing this I'll be switching mine also!

Status
Not open for further replies.