UVB lamp fixture that isn't a hood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emyline

5 Year Member
I got a UVB flourescent "reptisun" lamp for my Russian, but it seems like it's one that is supposed to be in a hood fixture above a tank or terrarium. Problem is, I am going with the 50gal bin set up, and so can't really put a hood over it (could I??)

Is there any fixture that can hold this light and be like a normal lamp fixture, that can stand next to the bin instead of balancing at the top? Or do I have to spend money on a more normal UVB bulb that can fit in a typical lamp fixture?

I've been googling for an hour now and can't find any alternatives to the terrarium hood, but also I'm really bad at google in the first place. Any help would be appreciated!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
If you are talking about a fluorescent tube, then it should work in any strip fixture made for that type of lamp. You could use a hood but if you don't want to, you'll need to make a stand. Google "diy grow light stand" for different examples. I think this PVC one is about as easy as it gets.

manetteaplin

5 Year Member
I have a $10 fixture for a 24" UVB tube I bought the fixture at Walmart that I put my bulb in and then I just screwed it to the top of my enclosure.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Emyline said:
I got a UVB flourescent "reptisun" lamp for my Russian, but it seems like it's one that is supposed to be in a hood fixture above a tank or terrarium. Problem is, I am going with the 50gal bin set up, and so can't really put a hood over it (could I??)

Is there any fixture that can hold this light and be like a normal lamp fixture, that can stand next to the bin instead of balancing at the top? Or do I have to spend money on a more normal UVB bulb that can fit in a typical lamp fixture?

I've been googling for an hour now and can't find any alternatives to the terrarium hood, but also I'm really bad at google in the first place. Any help would be appreciated!

Maybe you already got it all sorted out.

Umm but what size tube ReptiSun did you get? By size I mean is it a T12, T8, or T5 HO? not how long, but what diameter? If that is not apparent to you by the labeling - then how long, AND what wattage? They take different fixtures depending on tube size.

I use 54 gallon Rubbermaid Totes and suspend the light by using a stucco corner wire strut cut to length so it reaches from one hand hold to the other. This way the light is not jarred every time I open the lid.

Pictures are at http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-77044.html post #1 and #4. They cost about $3.00 and will be enough for two tubs. With some patience you might be able to have a Home Depot employee walk the strut over to the tubs and cut it to length for you right in the store.

The best price for a T5 HO fixture is usually found at an indoor gardening center. WalMart did not have one with a reflector last time I looked. The reflector makes a huge difference. It reduces the 'spot glare' and directs more light down, even the critical UV spectrum that is why that kind of tube is so expensive. The reflector ads a great deal of value to the light your tortoise will experience.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.