UVB light ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt581

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jackson MI
My sulcata loves the UVB light he sleeps under it during the day and night i have a red uvb 100watt on him. Can they have to much uvb lighting?

samstar

5 Year Member
They will know when they need to move away. They are smarter than we think they are. :)

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
I'm sure they can walk away on their own but I have heard of too much UVB...not sure so I will wait for another to give us more input on that one =)

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I didn't know they made a night time uvb bulb.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The night light wont give off any uvb..that light is strictly for warmth :D so you are good there....I like the night red or black heat lamps...some folks don't--the red light freaks some of the others out...:p so you can also use a ceramic heat emitter if you don't like the red or black light....

I believe if you supply a basking spot a cooler side and a middle ground then your tortoise will be able to regulate their temps....I know the MVBs are a great tool especially for folks that don't have as much sun time available as I do here....however, I am a believer that if you have a hatchling that the MVBs on for 12 hours everyday can be to intense for their developing delicate eyes...and tend to dehydrate rather rapidly....now others will disagree with what I think, and that is fine...my point of sharing what I think is just that, another way....I believe that a long tube uvb along with use of a basking light allows the tortoise to regulate their temps without being forced to be in constant intense uvb just to stay warm...if there are two separate lights then your tort can move from one to the other to acquire benefits from both...also if you have a large enough enclosure you can also have a MVB set up and run it a few hours each day to replicate the hottest/brightest time of the day....

Also..if you set up enough plant shade in your enclosure that can serve up a secure hiding place as well as a retreat from direct uvb....

Wait around to get the others info as well...the more the merrier...:p

matt581

5 Year Member
Jackson MI
Ok thanks everyone yes he can get away when he want's he loves it and even falls asleep under it lol:)

Status
Not open for further replies.