UVB lighting for Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
After hours of research and money wasted, I've come to the realization that tomorrow I won't be turning on the 50 watt coil UVB bulb I have clamped over my lil Russian tortoise. I've had her for a month with this coiled bulb, and have wondered every day why her eyes seem swollen. It's from the crappy bulb that the petstore guy recommended, just like the aquarium he recommended that stressed her out. One thing I've learned for sure is petstore workers don't have their facts straight. And I feel so guilty that Delilah has had to suffer with a bulb that is bad for her eyes. I'll be racing to the petstore on my lunch hour tomorrow to purchase a fixture and a tube bulb. My questions is: What type of bulb do I get? How many watts? My custom built box is 7 foot long by 3 foot wide, with the main section where the bulb will be installed only 5 foot long and 3 foot wide. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I just want to give her the best care I can. And I can only hope her eyes haven't been damaged from being under the wrong type of bulb for so long (one month & one week).

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I can feel your pain as I have gone through the same thing but his eyes not only would swell but he would also stay in his hide box.I ended it buying a Zoo Med Powersun 100w mercury vapor UVB bulb that provides both UBS, UVB, & heat. He has since come out to enjoy his artificial sun and seems more active. Once again thanks to this forum :)

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I don't know about Russians but I prefer using the Mercury Vapor bulbs (MVB). That way it will provide heat and light in one. Then perhaps try to figure out a way to hang the dome fixture from above so it points straight down. I think the watts depends on how hot you need the basking area and how close you put the light to the basking spot.

MasterOogway said:
I can feel your pain as I have gone through the same thing but his eyes not only would swell but he would also stay in his hide box.I ended it buying a Zoo Med Powersun 100w mercury vapor UVB bulb that provides both UBS, UVB, & heat. He has since come out to enjoy his artificial sun and seems more active. Once again thanks to this forum :)

Yea..the Powersun..that's what have also.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
So ultimately I went with the 100w PowerSun. Thank you all for the recommendation! I put it in a dome that has a dial on it to adjust the heat and found out quite quickly the bulb is not compatible with that type of dome. I have a ZooMed Deep dome on order and can't wait for it to get here!

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
Bummer ...one thing always leads to another. To make my self feel better I think well I am hoping Master Oogway will be around for a hundred years do I will get my money's worth out of the tortoise equipment I buy. Let us know how it goes.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
MasterOogway said:
Bummer ...one thing always leads to another. To make my self feel better I think well I am hoping Master Oogway will be around for a hundred years do I will get my money's worth out of the tortoise equipment I buy. Let us know how it goes.

LOL you are sssooo right ("one thing always leads to another")
My husband says lil Delilah is living better than we are....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.