UVB lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
After some reading I bought a UVB light for my enclosure, it is one if those swirl type lights. I just learned that these can be bad for tortoise eyes. My torts are around 4-5 inches. Are these lights truly bad or is that just for babies?

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I believe it is bad for any tortoise, I'm sure others with more experience will also let you know more

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
AKA a coil fluorescent light bulb, if that is what you mean.

Yes, these have been associated with eye problems and even damage in any age tortoise. Now the 'newer' ones are supposed to be better. For some reason you do see them for sale on reputable tortoise supply sites.

However, most feel it is just not worth the risk.

You could remove it, and replace with a regular house bulb of the same wattage until you figure out what to do. A few days or even more w/o UVB won't hurt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Depends on where you live. If you are somewhere warm like AZ or FL or Southern CA then you really don't need any artificial indoor UV. They can go a few weeks without sunshine or UV as long as they get plenty of it the rest of the year.

If you are somewhere with frozen winters, then my preference is for mercury vapor bulbs or the long tube type florescents.

Status
Not open for further replies.