Uvb lighting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

garon

5 Year Member
Hi all I have recently purchased a Repti glo ubv 15watt 10%
To me it looks like it's doing nothing at all! my Russian tort is not interested in it at all.
Could some one tell me why I needed this so badly?
To me it seams like I just wasted £60?
Thanks

T Smart

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
"It is essential for their health and growth, UV plays a key role in the production of Vitamin D3, which is necessary in the absorption and metabolism of calcium, as well as other essential vitamins and minerals. Vitamin D3 deficiency can result in limited shell growth, metabolic bone disease, and often, a premature death. Supplying appropriate UV lighting in your pet's habitat is one of the many important responsibilities you carry as the owner of a turtle or tortoise." (Dr. Foster and Smith)

I didn't write this.
I copied this from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=827

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Your tort won't actually bask under it, because it isn't warm. But it is important for your tort's normal growth.

Remembering the pic of your enclosure, you could make sure your tube light is moved slightly closer to the basking area, so your tort will benefit from UVB while basking.
Some get tube lights that are longer and extend the entire length of the enclosure. But yours is fine. Instead, to keep the enclosure bright, set up a regular house bulb midway down, on the other side from the tube light. (You can even use a desk lamp, positioned on a block of wood to get it high enough.)

garon

5 Year Member
Okay thanks a lot
It makes sence now lol and I have moved it closer to the basking light

Status
Not open for further replies.