UVB? Should I keep it at a distance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kurihama, Japan
Hey guys me again :p

I was wondering, my tortoise table only has a 6 inch wall... Should I put my UVB lamp higher so that its not as bright?

Also I've been reading other posts, should I get another heat lamp to put on the other side of the enclosure?

The dimesions are 6 feet by 3 feet by 6 inches...

I should mention he is a Redfoot and is around 1-2 months old

Thanks again :D

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
6ft is a good size area to heat,just play with different heights with the CHE (might need 2) to get your temp right.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Kurihama, Japan
I live in Japan and so all the town homes have a mitsubishi heater, so I was just thinking of also keeping the room at around 75-80 *F...
I would also have a small heater under the mulch to make the humidity rise... <--- is that ok ?

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I have no experience with heat mats, I always think of it as un-natural.Keeping the room 80F would be a nice thing.

Bowser-the-Redfoot

5 Year Member
Kurihama, Japan
Ok cool, I'll do some more research on the heat mat... I don't reall like the thought of it, but if it keeps the humidity up...

I don't know :p

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I'ld think it might but you'ld be spraying a lot more to keep it from dry'n out...again I'm just kinda guessing seeing I've never done it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You could put a heat emitter on each side, and the a long tube UVB in the middle. I also put lots of plants for humidity. You won'd believe how good the plants hold in the humidity. I try to keep the whole vivarium in the high 80's. RF's like high warm humidity, and low light.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The UVB bulb should be positioned at the height on the package- too high and there is too little UVB hitting the area, too low and the concentrations are too high. Most of them call for 12".

If your room is at 80ish, then I would not worry about under-heat. I use in it my house that runs about 68F and it works great, but it works best when the habitat is at least partially covered. You keep the substrate damp to moist and the warmed water helps distribute the heat and humidify everything. Follow the directions on whatever heaters you use- some tell you to keep the substrate damp for this very purpose.

In a 6' habitat, I would aim for a hot spot of about 90 in the warmest point, and an overall temp of about 85, with a cooler corner or end about 80. If one heater does that, great! I usually have to do a big heater (MVB bulb) in the hot spot, and a CHE in about the middle to accomplish this.

Status
Not open for further replies.