UVB /UVA lighting options

Status
Not open for further replies.

joder14

5 Year Member
I am trying to get some input on lighting for my indoor enclosure. I live in Alberta Canada so we have winter for at least 6 months. I am wanting to provide the best of the needed UVB and UVA. I have found the brand repti glo for both UVB and UVA bulbs. Has anyone used these or is there another light you would recommend. I already have a heat source I am just looking for lighting options. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I use the 24inch exo terra tube lamps.they are t8lamps in a 5.0

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I prefer zoomed over exoterra, especially when it comes to UVB. Personally I would go with a ReptiSun

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have been using the Reptisun bulbs for all my various types of reptile I have kept for over 14 years. I use the. 5.0 linear(straight) bulbs.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just to be clear- almost all UVB bulbs emit UVA as part of their normal operation, so you don't need separate bulbs for that.

UVB bulbs do not emit a balanced white light, so I supplement them with some low-wattage incandescent bulbs (25w or so, number of bulbs depends on habitat size). This also allows me to do a dawn/dusk option by running the UVB for about 8-10 hours a day and the others for 12-14 depending on season.

Over-lighting a habitat is pretty common for captive pets, and red-footeds spend most of their time in vegetation so I either keep the wattage low and/or make sure there is a lot of cover for them.

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
I am going to use the 5.0 repti-glo for uvb/uva for several hours a week and instead of something that emits heat and light, just a CHE. Anybody have any input?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use two 100 wt. CHE, one on each side, and a long tube 5.0 UVB in the middle. This is for a 125 gal. vivarium.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
InvertaHerp said:
I am going to use the 5.0 repti-glo for uvb/uva for several hours a week and instead of something that emits heat and light, just a CHE. Anybody have any input?

If the 5.0 Repti-glo is one of those coiled fluorescent bulbs, I wouldn't use it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.