UVB via Window! ?? **please help**

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackburn, U.K.
[size=large]
I know Windows filter out most UVB but does it filter out ALL?
i know it takes away most but not sure if all my tortoise table is directly across from the window so it is shining in the cage and when the suns out it glistens on the waterbowl and when i mist it ....in my oppinion it is beuatiful...but can tiago get any rays from filtered sun? Thankyou verymuch!
[/size] :tort: :shy: :rolleyes:

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
It's not good to keep a table near a window when the sun comes up it can raise your temps' to much have you checked them with and without the sun ? how close is the window ?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
the window is across the room and in england it does not effect the temps i was worried it would be to bright but its fine! :/

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
He/she can get warmed by the rays,but will get no UVB benefits at all, even a screen filters out a great deal of UVB passing through it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Like you were told, most likely it will not allow any UV in, but it does also depend on the glass. Added to that many home windows have either a double pane for insulation during the winter or a fine mesh screen for the summers. By then, nothing gets thru. :(

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Acrylic also filters out most UVA and UVB. Good news if you're trying to protect your own skin from damage, but bad news if you're trying to get enough for your pet reptiles.

BTW - Glass does let a little bit of UV through, because people can still get sunburned through glass, although that takes a long time. Basically, the amount of UV that gets through is negligible from the standpoint of terrariums and aquariums. However, as was mentioned above, they still let heat through because that comes in via the infrared (IR) wavelengths of the spectrum, and even traps heat in (greenhouse effect). A useful feature, but of course, one that must be used wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.