Variety in meals

Sydnee

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, but have learned a lot while reading all of the posts. I have a russian named Todd. I've had him for almost two months. I've been feeding him a little over a hand full of greens/ weeds 6 days a week. I have been keeping as much variety as possible. I am putting a list down below of everything I have been feeding him. I just wanted some ideas from you guys. I buy everything organic.
Italian blend salad mix (no spinach)
Romaine
Collard greens
Dandelion greens
Baby kale
Sunflower sprouts
Wheat grass (and opinion on how often wheat grass should be fed)?
Mustard greens
Cilantro
Frisee
Arugula

Once a week I feed him a small amount of:
Carrots (a few shreads)
Broccoli
Squash

I have been dusting his food 3-4 times with calicum (without D3) and multivitamins. I have two bearded dragons and luckily they have similar needs. Please post any thoughts or suggestions! Thanks guys! ☺

Last edited:

Turtleneck123

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum, but have learned a lot while reading all of the posts. I have a russian named Todd. I've had him for almost two months. I've been feeding him a little over a hand full of greens/ weeds 6 days a week. I have been keeping as much variety as possible. I am putting a list down below of everything I have been feeding him. I just wanted some ideas from you guys. I buy everything organic.
Romaine
Collard greens
Dandelion greens
Baby kale
Sunflower sprouts
Mustard greens
Cilantro
Frisee
Arugula

Carrots (a few shreads)
Broccoli
Squash

I have been dusting his food with calicum (without D3) and multivitamins. I have two bearded dragons and luckily they have similar needs. Please post any thoughts or suggestions! Thanks guys! ☺
Looks good. I recommend including more weeds into his diet. Also how often do you use calcium powder?

Sydnee

Looks good. I recommend including more weeds into his diet. Also how often do you use calcium powder?
I have just edited the post. I dust his greens 3-4 times a week. Well until my garden grows, I can only buy organic grocery store greens. What would you recommend from there? All I could find is dandelion greens. I am also concerned in the winter time I wont have any weeds to feed him since my garden will die

Turtleneck123

I have just edited the post. I dust his greens 3-4 times a week. Well until my garden grows, I can only buy organic grocery store greens. What would you recommend from there? All I could find is dandelion greens. I am also concerned in the winter time I wont have any weeds to feed him since my garden will die

The diet you listed seems healthy so I think you can sprinkle it 2 times a week.
As for the weeds here's a picture of weeds that are safe for your tortoise to eat. (Make sure you aren't using pesticides or any chemicals in your garden) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470544089.058276.jpg

You can also buy a testudo mix from this website which includes all the weeds that are good for your RT.
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

For the winter you can just feed him the foods you listed. Hope this helps :)

Turtleneck123

Also romaine lettuce does not have a lot of nutrients so I don't feed my RT lettuce at all. Mustard and collard greens are good for them.

Sydnee

The diet you listed seems healthy so I think you can sprinkle it 2 times a week.
As for the weeds here's a picture of weeds that are safe for your tortoise to eat. (Make sure you aren't using pesticides or any chemicals in your garden) View attachment 182689

You can also buy a testudo mix from this website which includes all the weeds that are good for your RT.

As for the weeds here's a picture of weeds that are safe for your tortoise to eat. (Make sure you aren't using pesticides or any chemicals in your garden) View attachment 182689

Great info! My tort is a spoiled butt!
I will drop sprinkling his food with his supplement down to twice a week.
My "garden" is only a long window pot. I don't have a back yard
I also read that if I feed him high nutritious food to often he will start pyramiding? Any thoughts?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Russians can hibernate in winter. Your current diet is decent for winter. Cut the broccoli and carrots, and add endive and escarole. When weeds and leaves are available They are best. In the Sulcata care guide there is a great list of food. Russians will not eat much grass, and no hay.

Sydnee

Also romaine lettuce does not have a lot of nutrients so I don't feed my RT lettuce at all. Mustard and collard greens are good for them.
I feed it to him with high nutritious foods evry once and a while. I will do 2/3 dandelion weeds and 1/3 romaine. I read that feeding them super nutritious food can cause pyramiding? Any recommendations on wheat grass? Thoughts?

Sydnee

Russians can hibernate in winter. Your current diet is decent for winter. Cut the broccoli and carrots, and add endive and escarole. When weeds and leaves are available They are best. In the Sulcata care guide there is a great list of food. Russians will not eat much grass, and no hay.
Okay so I shouldn't feed him wheat grass too often?
I will definitely add endive and escarole in next! Thanks!
Do they have to hibernate? He is housed inside. Should I open another thread about this? Please excuse me lol im a newbie

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I spray his cage each morning and his shell. I also soak him 3 times a week. Sound ok?
Soaks are great. If he is an adult, that is fine. If he is still growing, you might need to raise humidity. Do you know what his humidity is in the enclosure?

Sydnee

I have the mazuri, but my little guy wont eat it. Ill keep feeding him a mix of everything.

Sydnee

Soaks are great. If he is an adult, that is fine. If he is still growing, you might need to raise humidity. Do you know what his humidity is in the enclosure?
He is about 4 1/2 inches. Still growing. I am getting a humidity monitor next week. His enclosure is open though. I would spray in his hide-a-hut, but I am scared it will mold.
I read to pour water in corners so the top isn't wet, but that also worries me.. as far as mold goes

Turtleneck123

He is about 4 1/2 inches. Still growing. I am getting a humidity monitor next week. His enclosure is open though. I would spray in his hide-a-hut, but I am scared it will mold.
I read to pour water in corners so the top isn't wet, but that also worries me.. as far as mold goes
What is your substrate ?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Coco coir doesn't mold. That is one of the reasons I love it. I use straight coco coir. For larger messier tortoises I put coco husk fiber on top of it. My substrate is 4 to 5 inches deep. I keep it very moist by dumping water in, like I would water a plant.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Romaine
Collard greens
Dandelion greens
Baby kale
Sunflower sprouts
Mustard greens
Cilantro
Frisee
Arugula

Carrots (a few shreads)
Broccoli
Squash

I have been dusting his food 3-4 times with calicum (without D3) and multivitamins. I have two bearded dragons and luckily they have similar needs. Please post any thoughts or suggestions! Thanks guys! ☺

I'd love to see pics of your tort, and of course his enclosure.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!

Sydnee

Coco coir doesn't mold. That is one of the reasons I love it. I use straight coco coir. For larger messier tortoises I put coco husk fiber on top of it. My substrate is 4 to 5 inches deep. I keep it very moist by dumping water in, like I would water a plant.
Oh wow! Great to know! Yours has never molded? His is only 2 inches deep. Should I make it deeper?