vegatation for out door enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
washington state
hey so i will hopefully be getting a red foot in a week or two and wanted to know what kind of plants i could plant for looks to hold humidity but also weeds and grasses that they can eat when ever they want. i want to plant a lot of different things. if you can post a picture of enclosures for ideas that would be great!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All kinds of stuff. I will give you a short list and then the Redfoot owners can help you with others. Cactus, rose of Sharon, roses, hostas, dark leafy greens, such as kale, mustard greens, collard greens, summer squash, clover, dandelion. There of course is a lot more ideas other should have.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Most all grasses, bamboo's , grape , and a fun one Hibiscus....I say that cuzz your plant will be perfectly trimmed from the ground up to the size of your largest tort!...
Another neat one....and great for outdoors...buy some parrot seed mix or bird seed mix ..and til' into soil. All kinds of edible munchies will sprout and the Rf' will go crazy for them . One thing I have noticed and makes perfect sense, they like to stake out the baby grasses or sprouts....when grazing.

JD~:)

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
alright thanks, i might even plant something on the inside of the enclosure as well. everyone talks about red foot enclosures needing a lot of plants to be more humid so i thought if so then they can eat is as well

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
excellent ....the plants are not so much for humidity, as they are for providing a hiding place ...RF's like to hide amongst the plant bases and will even dig a little nitch to lay in.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
N2TORTS said:
Most all grasses, bamboo's , grape , and a fun one Hibiscus....I say that cuzz your plant will be perfectly trimmed from the ground up to the size of your largest tort!...
Another neat one....and great for outdoors...buy some parrot seed mix or bird seed mix ..and til' into soil. All kinds of edible munchies will sprout and the Rf' will go crazy for them . One thing I have noticed and makes perfect sense, they like to stake out the baby grasses or sprouts....when grazing.

Awesome! Thanks for the bird seed advice JD!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RonHays said:
N2TORTS said:

Awesome! Thanks for the bird seed advice JD!

You Betcha ! ........Happy Tort~n ~ :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
This may not apply to all birdseed, but I found out that the black thistle seed (also called Niger or Nyger) sold specifically for feeding goldfinches has been irradiated to kill it do that it WON'T sprout. It's NOT RADIOACTIVE- it's just irradiated so people won't have thistles sprouting up around their feeders.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Bird seeds can be quite a nuisance. Like all other seeds, they will germinate and grow if they fall to the ground.I dont think any of my seed I feed to my Birds is radio ~acticive nor any seed you buy thru a reputable dealer would be too, * radio active* "yikes". A better term would be "sterilized". To easily prevent the seeds from sprouting, "sterilize the seeds". The most efficient way at home is to bake them at a low temperature,or even better yet use a pressure cooker.
Any seed I buy for my birds will sprout and honest not sure what sprouts first and too young to tell what it is. Even indoors seed that falls to the bottom of the tray and of course Sally making a mess playing in her water dish will sprout in 1-3 days. Outside the wild bird feeders and one in particular near the tortoise yard will always have young fresh sprouts around the area.......My Hypo Momma has figured this spot out and rushes out every am to graze that first.
Matter of fact all 17 Reds N Cherries who live in that part of the yard have a " sweet tooth" for the above mentioned idea of
"seed sprouts"

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Food, especially produce which can carry E. coli, etc has been irradiated to kill bacteria and prolong shelf life since at least 1999 in Europe, where it's monitored by the European Union. It's also done here in the US since ? and there's a specific little logo on the produce to indicate that it has been irradiated to delay spoilage. That logo is called the Radura logo. If you "google" it you can see what it looks like. The whole thing is very controversial and many consumer and environmental groups are opposed. I personally do NOT buy anything with the Radura logo on it even though (as I specifically said in my earlier post) the food/produce is NOT rendered radioactive but bacteria and some seeds are killed. Or at least that's the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.