Ventilation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liquidpoop

5 Year Member
hi, ive got a 2.5'' russian tortoise hes living in 2x3x2 wooden viv with 2 glass sliding doors at the min there is only one vent and ive been leaving both doors open about an inch either side to let the air circulate a bit. ive got 2 more vents which are going to be fitted when i clean him out on the weekend. i i was thinking about putting a 12v fan in the cool end of the viv to allow air to circulate better. i was wondering is it a good idea? and if this would cause any problems? obviously im not going to put it where he can get at it but would the noise cause stress id try to get a quiet one but any fan will make noise (wouldnt it) or do you think it will make it harder to maintain a good temp.

any feedback is appreciated

Lp

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
california
you could use a small fan it would probably be quiet enough, and just make sure its not faced at the ground...blowing dirt or sand wouldn't be that good.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
LP, I am no expert but a fan should move the air and the noise should not bother your tort. Personally I feel he should be out of the enclosed viv and placed in a tort table when inside during the winter. But then that's my personal preference.

Liquidpoop

5 Year Member
I was going to get a table and to be honest it would have been alot cheaper to buy, but our house is very difficult to heat, I have attempted to leave his viv open to see what the temps are like and they drop to almost 20c(dont do farenheit(sp?)) under the basking lamp and ceramic heater, so with a table the temps would be even worse and we have the heating on all day everyday and its just too cold. I did want to remove the glass out of his viv and fit another panel of wood at the bottom so he couldnt see over and get adequate ventilation but i really dont want to destroy his viv just for the sake of opinion because its so cold with just the door open. once weather permits he will be on a table ASAP and im building an outdoor enclosure for him in the spring/summer time. unfortunatley humidity is difficult to maintain in the viv its either too high or too low and the only time i managed to get it at a steady 60% was using dried bark pellets which i have now changed after being told about the problems they cause for torts. but i am working on it so far its only reached 50% at the lowest and 80% at the highest so weve almost got it. i think the sand soil mix i used was a little bit too moist but it seems to have dried up a little now. ive only been using the 50/50 mix since monday so hopefully it will balance out. i have fitted his new vents just been struggling to find a 12v fan i can wire straight to a transformer from the mains so far ive only found heatsink fans for computers. anybody know where i can find something suitable so i dont have to steal one out of my pc

thanks
Lp

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
A computer fan would be fine, try a computer store or supply.

I have a tiny little one speed fan that makes like no noise that I got at a regular shopping center.

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.