Very Abnormal Shelled Sulcata Hatchling- First Post

Marcus D

Location (City and/or State)
California
For as long as I can remember I’ve liked turtles and tortoises, and as a kid owned two red eared sliders. Now as a teenager I have two sulcata hatchlings, one with a very abnormal scute count, anus, and tail named uzi, and one completely healthy named panzer. Uzi has a hard time pooping usually and it doesn’t come out the same way it does for panzer. However he eats well and soaks often so he doesn’t get backed up. The picture of his rear end is what it looks like when he is almost ready to poop. What do you guys think? His energy level is high and he is quick. Is it mostly visual? Also, his tail is the small nub where his shell separates. I don’t expect him to be capable of intercourse later on, am i right on that thought? Panzer’s picture is there bc they’re both cuties so i had to include him in a first post. I appreciate any tips :)

BF588DB1-5EBC-4C17-BFD4-8D0B23159642.jpegCA80F606-A1EB-49D4-9C87-245F9FB10802.jpeg3ADE2F45-1966-4E8D-9344-0541A799EC2F.jpeg2E58E90F-4F29-4095-8AC9-7AD41C90B025.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

When dealing with congenital defects like this, there is no way to know what the outcome will be. Time will tell.

More immediately, they need to be housed separately. Tortoises should never be housed in pairs.

Also, it looks like the pics were taken in an indoor enclosure with chicken wire on top? If yes, that is not a good way to house sulcatas. Open tops let all the heat and humidity escape up and out the top. Give this a read for the current and correct care info:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, soak them daily in warm water for 1/2hr. Keep water warm and and the depth of the water up to where the top and bottom shell meet. The one having problems pooping keep him in warm water for a hr or until the poop comes out. Shouldn't take long.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hopefully his deformities are only on the outside, and not the inside too. Did someone sell this tortoise like this? If so please let us know who so others can avoid that breeder.