Very Bad Health Issue Russian Tortoise

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
Hey everyone, so I'm pretty worried right now.

To start off with some background information, my female russian came out of brumation several weeks ago (February 20th) and started off healthy and with a big appetite. Nothing was wrong until a week or two ago I noticed that she was having issues walking; her back legs would drag slightly when walking but still would move and retract if I held her. I thought it may be because some fire ants that had started popping up had got to her legs, or constipation/stones. I bathed her, took care of the fire ants immediately, separated her (she was living with a male and female) and then monitored her closely. She hasn't been getting much better with walking, but still eats some and basks.

Today, however, I inspected her and noticed something strange. She had started to grow some growth lines already, yet when I pressed down towards the growth lines on the scutes, it was not firm and liquid would come out from where the growth lines were forming. The bone beneath the scutes was firm, yet the scutes on top were not. I was wondering if it was shell rot or some sort, but it has been really dry recently (except for me spraying down the pen yesterday) so I'm really unsure what's happening.

Here are some pics, one before pressing and one after some liquid came out- I already had squeezed and dried most of the liquid before the pic, there was more earlier. Also, you can see some dirt sticking to the growth line because of the liquid.
IMG_5263.JPGIMG_5264.JPG

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have no way of knowing, but it doesn't look good. Liquid should not come out like that. Might be she was squashed and broke open , or septicemia. . . at any rate she should be seen by a qualified tortoise vet.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

To start off with some background information, my female russian came out of brumation several weeks ago (February 20th) and started off healthy and with a big appetite. Nothing was wrong until a week or two ago I noticed that she was having issues walking; her back legs would drag slightly when walking but still would move and retract if I held her. I thought it may be because some fire ants that had started popping up had got to her legs, or constipation/stones. I bathed her, took care of the fire ants immediately, separated her (she was living with a male and female) and then monitored her closely. She hasn't been getting much better with walking, but still eats some and basks.

Today, however, I inspected her and noticed something strange. She had started to grow some growth lines already, yet when I pressed down towards the growth lines on the scutes, it was not firm and liquid would come out from where the growth lines were forming. The bone beneath the scutes was firm, yet the scutes on top were not. I was wondering if it was shell rot or some sort, but it has been really dry recently (except for me spraying down the pen yesterday) so I'm really unsure what's happening.

Here are some pics, one before pressing and one after some liquid came out- I already had squeezed and dried most of the liquid before the pic, there was more earlier. Also, you can see some dirt sticking to the growth line because of the liquid.
View attachment 321017View attachment 321018
Good luck bro

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan

I’m so sorry you and your tortoise are going through this. I don’t have any advise to offer, but wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you guys and praying for a positive outcome. Please keep us posted.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I’m so sorry you and your tortoise are going through this. I don’t have any advise to offer, but wanted to let you know I’m thinking of you guys and praying for a positive outcome. Please keep us posted.
Thank you, means a lot

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
We have no way of knowing, but it doesn't look good. Liquid should not come out like that. Might be she was squashed and broke open , or septicemia. . . at any rate she should be seen by a qualified tortoise vet.
Thank you, I’m thinking it might be septicemia. Need to get it checked out

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
So I have some bad news.

Today she passed away due to overheating, from her inability to walk out of the sun because of her issue.

I checked on her several times today, in her outdoor recovery pen. She was doing the same, having trouble walking but still going out, even very slowly, to bask and maybe nibble on something. I was not really worried about overheating because she had access to shade at least a foot from her wherever she was in the pen and she seemed to be able to move enough to go find shade. I was wrong.

I check her again an hour or two after the last check and find her in a patch of strong sun, and I knew at that moment she couldn't be still alive. The sun was beating very hot and she looked very still. I don't know how she wasn't able to drag herself out of the small patch of sun into shade, but I assume she was just tired of fighting and overheated. :(

I soaked her immediately with little hope, her eyes had already sunken and she was becoming stiff.

I do think she had septicemia due to being bitten by the male from his breeding attempts earlier in the month, and the small cuts getting infected and bacteria entering the bloodstream. She showed several symptoms, including loss of muscle control, the liquid under the scutes, and slight pinkness in some areas. I was going to get a vet appointment soon but..

I guess I'll take this as a learning experience and be extra careful with my other two tortoises. Hope this never happens to any of your tortoises.

She is the one in my profile picture by the way.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I’m so sorry she didn’t make it. Thank you for providing the details so that it can help others in the future. I hope you can take comfort in knowing that she’s not suffering anymore. Hold onto the good memories you have with your sweet girl. Take care.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
So I have some bad news.

Today she passed away due to overheating, from her inability to walk out of the sun because of her issue.

I checked on her several times today, in her outdoor recovery pen. She was doing the same, having trouble walking but still going out, even very slowly, to bask and maybe nibble on something. I was not really worried about overheating because she had access to shade at least a foot from her wherever she was in the pen and she seemed to be able to move enough to go find shade. I was wrong.

I check her again an hour or two after the last check and find her in a patch of strong sun, and I knew at that moment she couldn't be still alive. The sun was beating very hot and she looked very still. I don't know how she wasn't able to drag herself out of the small patch of sun into shade, but I assume she was just tired of fighting and overheated. :(

I soaked her immediately with little hope, her eyes had already sunken and she was becoming stiff.

I do think she had septicemia due to being bitten by the male from his breeding attempts earlier in the month, and the small cuts getting infected and bacteria entering the bloodstream. She showed several symptoms, including loss of muscle control, the liquid under the scutes, and slight pinkness in some areas. I was going to get a vet appointment soon but..

I guess I'll take this as a learning experience and be extra careful with my other two tortoises. Hope this never happens to any of your tortoises.

I am so very sorry that you lost your beloved tortoise. I am holding you close to my heart tonight. Be kind to yourself during this difficult time.

Ddflinn

SPRING VALLEY CA
So I have some bad news.

SO SAD. SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS

zolasmum

5 Year Member
So I have some bad news.

I'm so very sorry - she looks such a sweetie - but at least she isn't suffering now.