Very confused - lighting again

Status
Not open for further replies.

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
OK OK - I have read through every thread I can on lighting and sometimes it looks like I got it right and sometimes, not so much. So here goes and please let me know what to do on this.

I currently have Motor in a 48" long enclosure inside. At one end is his basking lamp (150w) and at the other end is a reflective hood, 18" long that has 2 of the Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 UVB compact flourescent lights end to end to lengthen the coverage. Neither type of light goes end to end so he can move about and adjust heat/light type etc. Both lights rest on top of a metal screen and are about 11-12" above the substrate.

There is also a half log hide and a patch of grass he burrows under.

He is a couple inches long and weighs 2.6 ounces - he's eating great, has constant access to shallow clean water which he does drink out of and wade through.

Is this a bad setup? I am watching him to make sure he doesn't get swollen eyes or lethargic, so far he's been fine. I also take him out daily for about 30 min to enjoy the sun and munch on clover or mini rose bushes while I water.

Thanks for the help all.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, as long as he's getting the real sunshine for a bit every day, or even two or three times a week, the UVB/UVA lights aren't that important. Your set-up sounds pretty good to me. Long enough that he could get plenty of exercise, and he's able to find the temp he requires. He's eating and looking healthy. Just be careful when he's outside. They move a lot faster than you give them credit for, especially when you take your eyes off for a minute!

Yvonne

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
OK - so should I dump the UVB lights completely? I am worried about the radiation thing that got another sulcata here.

All my roses and plants are in tubs and half barrels - the joy of living in a temporary setup while trying to build a house, so he is confined by the tub walls.

I know, he moves so fast!!! And on such short little legs! I am too petrified to let him out in the open as he'll just take off! Maybe if I tape an orange flag sticking up to him . . . just kidding! I also bought him a little kiddie pool for outdoors but he's been having so much fun foraging in the rose tubs I prbably won't use it until I get some grass/clover/dandelions growing in it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Redkim, UVB lights that have to pass through anything, screen, glass etc. lose most of the UVB effects. So you may be wasting your electricity. One UVB bulb with nothing between it and the tort should be sufficiant. Check the temps inside the enclosure at his level. What type of substrate do you have it on? Do you have a humid place for him like a humid hide? Here is a very good (in my opinion) place for some info. http://www.africantortoise.com/

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
Thanks Robyn - well I won't worry about too much UVB then. I have him on a sphagnum/peat/soil mixture with some areas of cypress mulch. I spray down the enclosure twice a day with a spray bottle and there is the water dish. I do spray well inside his hide. However - please let me know what I am missing. I have not gotten a thermometer yet (BAD BAD BAD) and will get two of them ASAP with humidity gauges as well. Just have not been near the dang pet store recently.

redkim

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
Lordy, sometimes I have to wonder if ignorance is bliss, then I look at Motor and am glad (for his sake) that I am not being blissfully ignorant! :)

So here's the question on the humidity deal - would it be better to get a fogger? I see great ones that are programmable and can be adjusted so that they only spray once every 3/6/9/12 hours and for different intervals of time i.e. 30/45/60/90 seconds.

Here are 2 I am looking at:

http://store.everythingreptileinc.com/rrf-10.html

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Habba-M...e3eSbNmTb3mTe34Pa38Ta38Nb350?sc=2&category=10

Status
Not open for further replies.