Very lethargic baby sulcata refuses to eat closed eyes

Justincl

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
It been 2 days since Ginger has fallen lethargic she hasn't grown since september 2020, a slightly dark area is seen from her plastron and around 2 weeks ago her plastron was just fine, she keeps pooping since last night and the poop consistency is very mooshy and not firm, i've been force feeding some oxbow critical care since she isn't eating nor drinking on her own and her eyes are shut she will open them a tiny bit then immeditely close them again. I also see her mouth open a few times when i pick her up to check her condition. I soak 2x a day, temps are 29-32celcius room temperature basking is 34 humidity is 60, diet consists of siomak, mulberry leaves, lettuce, cactus, hibiscus leaves and some mazuri pellets. Also note that she never pees on her own in her soaks for the past week she pees whenever i force feed her since yesterday and her pee has a slightly green yellowish tint and no urates even though i fed her some mazuri a week ago and since she's been constantly pooping since last night, her weight has dropped drastically from 74g to 65g as of now. I do suspect that the seller kept her dry as a hatchling as i didn't realize this when i got her. She had a bladder stone history last december and he stone already came out however right now i am suspecting that she either has MBD or a stons inside her as her movement is also rather abnormal than usual. Keep in mind i sun her daily for an hour while soaking and i give her calcium every saturday and sunday. Pls repsond as soon as possible ? and i might have to take her to a vet to do an xray to confirm whats going on inside her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This a very sick little tortoise and the outlook doesn't bode well. The reason the plastron looks dark is because the shell is very thin and you're seeing the insides of the baby.

Please re-read the care sheet and make any corrections necessary to the tortoise's care and set up. Make sure you're using a good UVB light and offering calcium-rich foods.

Justincl

Jakarta
This a very sick little tortoise and the outlook doesn't bode well. The reason the plastron looks dark is because the shell is very thin and you're seeing the insides of the baby.

Please re-read the care sheet and make any corrections necessary to the tortoise's care and set up. Make sure you're using a good UVB light and offering calcium-rich foods.
I sunbathe daily and i think i heard somewhere Tom said daily sunlight is good enough because in Indonesia tube UVB isn't available and i'm not willing to take risks with the coiled UVB bulbs beign sold here. Are there any alternatives??

Justincl

Jakarta
What if i supplement with calcium with D3 will that also work? Though im having a rough time finding a reputable tortoise vet here as there arent many reptile vets here and i am considering on taking an xray to see if theres a stone inside her or whatever is causing this inside her

Isaiah C.

Sapulpa
If i were to take her to a vet is it advisable to get a vitamin d shot? To help her shell harden
Disclaimer: Not an expert and very new at this. I searched for information other, more knowledgeable people have previously provided on the website and my word shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Most vets don't specialize in tortoises. They can do a lot of harm while trying to help, and many people have said that they can easily give incorrect dosages for the vitamin a, d, e shots which could can cause the skin to peel off and hurt them a lot. The general consensus seemed to be to avoid vitamin shots as there is much easier and safer ways to get vitamins into tortoises.

This was most of what I was able to find, so hopefully more experienced keepers are able to weigh-in and help you out. I'm so sorry to hear how sick your little tortoise is. I really do hope things work out for the better.

Justincl

Jakarta
Disclaimer: Not an expert and very new at this. I searched for information other, more knowledgeable people have previously provided on the website and my word shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Most vets don't specialize in tortoises. They can do a lot of harm while trying to help, and many people have said that they can easily give incorrect dosages for the vitamin a, d, e shots which could can cause the skin to peel off and hurt them a lot. This was most of what I was able to find, so hopefully more experienced keepers are able to weigh-in and help you out.

I'm so sorry to hear how sick your little tortoise is. I really do hope things work out for the better.
Thanks for the prayers :"( as well as the reply

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It been 2 days since Ginger has fallen lethargic she hasn't grown since september 2020, a slightly dark area is seen from her plastron and around 2 weeks ago her plastron was just fine, she keeps pooping since last night and the poop consistency is very mooshy and not firm, i've been force feeding some oxbow critical care since she isn't eating nor drinking on her own and her eyes are shut she will open them a tiny bit then immeditely close them again. I also see her mouth open a few times when i pick her up to check her condition. I soak 2x a day, temps are 29-32celcius room temperature basking is 34 humidity is 60, diet consists of siomak, mulberry leaves, lettuce, cactus, hibiscus leaves and some mazuri pellets. Also note that she never pees on her own in her soaks for the past week she pees whenever i force feed her since yesterday and her pee has a slightly green yellowish tint and no urates even though i fed her some mazuri a week ago and since she's been constantly pooping since last night, her weight has dropped drastically from 74g to 65g as of now. I do suspect that the seller kept her dry as a hatchling as i didn't realize this when i got her. She had a bladder stone history last december and he stone already came out however right now i am suspecting that she either has MBD or a stons inside her as her movement is also rather abnormal than usual. Keep in mind i sun her daily for an hour while soaking and i give her calcium every saturday and sunday. Pls repsond as soon as possible ? and i might have to take her to a vet to do an xray to confirm whats going on inside her.
This has nothing to do with you. No one could have saved this baby. This is the fault of the breeder who started your baby too dry for too long. Read this and share it with the breeder:

Justincl

Jakarta
This has nothing to do with you. No one could have saved this baby. This is the fault of the breeder who started your baby too dry for too long. Read this and share it with the breeder:
Thats unfortunate :( is there anything i can do to at least help her get better? As im typing this i just saw her cough up the oxbow critical care i forcefed

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I wouldn't force feed. Tortoise metabolism is slow, but the condition your baby is in he's extra slow. There's no more room in his stomach for more food. You have to give it a few days to empty before you put more in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thats unfortunate :( is there anything i can do to at least help her get better? As im typing this i just saw her cough up the oxbow critical care i forcefed
With what you've described, this one won't live much longer. There is nothing you can do and nothing you could have done previously. This baby was killed by the breeder or seller. Whoever kept it too dry and didn't soak it enough.

I don't recommend force feeding ever. If a tortoise isn't eating it is because something is wrong and the digestive system is not functioning, or can't function. Forcing food into an animal in that state helps nothings and can do damage. Instead, discover and correct the problem, and the appetite comes back on its own. In the case of Breeder Failure Syndrome, there is no way to correct the problem.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Green urine...especially if it is a bright "glowing" color is a very bad sign of serious liver failure and damage to blood cells.

Syringe feeding too much food can make this worse; digestion stops; diarrhea and vomiting is the body's attempt to get rid of the unprocessed food (which is now a toxin).

Agree with above answers that warm water soaking is soothing and compassionate, but your wee one seems to be coming to the end of its struggle to live.

Maryalice

Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippinex
I am sorry to hear of Ginger’s passing. As our experienced tort keepers here said, it’s not your fault. You were given a sick baby. You did your best, and Ginger fought hard til the end. Take care.