Very new (sleeping too much?)

Melissa1980

Hello please help. I've had a russian tortoise for about a week now I don't think I'm caring for him correctly as I got when I feels very bad information from the pet store. I currently have him in a 55 gallon long not tall aquarium setup I can't seem to keep moisture in and i feel like he's sleeping way too much I'm rotating the bulbs on my basking lamp (bright during the day and purple one st night) and that's the only light setup I have. I've tried to read literature on how to care for him but I don't understand some of the terms if someone could please break it down in kindergarten terms for me so I can properly take care of DaVinci. I've been feeding him collard greens, kale yellow and green peppers and cherry tomatoes. He has pooped and peed every day since I've had him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Tomatoes not good to feed all the time. Very rare treat only.
What are your temps and the humidity? I'm guessing it's too cold with it being wet. Cold and wet will make a tort sick. Also have you been soaking him? If not and its an adult, soak him 2-3 times a week until everything (temps &chum idiot) gets set up correctly. Also I would use a Che at night, no light just heat and they last a long time, years. What type of UVB bulb are you using?
Be sure to read the caresheet in the Russian section

Melissa1980

The temp is around 80° consistently the humidity is at like 44 unless I spray it which I do about 3 times a day then it hits about 60 for a little while. I only have one basking bulb that I switch at night to a bulb that looks black lightish. That was the info I was told at the pet store. I've washed his belly and feet a little because some poo was stuck but never soaked. Oh man I think I have a lot more setup to do.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of basking bulb? And what is the temp opposite end of where the bulb is? Does he have a low sided water dish 24/7, like a clay saucer works great and does he have a hide?

Melissa1980

He has a hide log and a low water dish yes. I only have 1 temp gage in the middle and the lamp I bought at petsmart .

Attachments

• 1456188128184-1145118890.jpg
    1456188128184-1145118890.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also I truly appreciate your advise. Thank you very much.
No problem. I can't tell though what kind of bulb. Is it a mercury vapor bulb? That gives off UVB?
Also be sure to take temps at tort level not in the middle or top of tank.
If your bulb is not the coil type, and your temps at his level are what you posted, things don't seem bad. He may just need more adjustment time. From a pet store, they are adults any where between 5-10 years old maybe more and are wild caught. Some times they take more time to get adjusted then a hatchling or captive bred.