Status
Not open for further replies.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sunny AZ
I'm not sure if many of you guys know but I fly for a major airline and my boyfriend takes care of my baby sullies while I'm working. I just got the news tonight that while my boyfriend had the babies out in the outside enclosure, the smallest one jay went missing. :( they have been looking for two hours and have not found her yet.. We are fearing the worse..please send good vibes that she is safe. I feel so helpless for I'm in Boise,ID working :(

Chainsawkitten said:
I'm not sure if many of you guys know but I fly for a major airline and my boyfriend takes care of my baby sullies while I'm working. I just got the news tonight that while my boyfriend had the babies out in the outside enclosure, the smallest one jay went missing. :( they have been looking for two hours and have not found her yet.. We are fearing the worse..please send good vibes that she is safe. I feel so helpless for I'm in Boise,ID working ]

image-3969397001.png

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Was this one of Tom's babies? He looks so perfect. Tell your boyfriend to keep looking for her. She may show up especially during early morning when the sun first comes out. Put a plate of food out for him. How's the weather there?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry. We have seen this before and most have been found. Don't give up hope. Tell him to get on hands and knees, torts level and feel under bushes, tall grasses, feel all around. Also, tell him to check first thing in the morning when the sun is out. He will most likely come out to warm up. If not found tomorrow, let neighbors know he is missing, also look in the closest yards joined to yours. Most likely if he is small, he isn't far. Tell him to check every place with feeling, even if he already looked there. Good luck, keep us posted. BTW, if there is no sun tomorrow, put out a heat light.

MooingTricycle

5 Year Member
Oh no!!! Yes definitely keep an eye out FIRST thing. I wish you so much luck finding your little one ASAP!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh no, don't think the worst yet. Just keep looking! Lot's of these wandered off tortoises are found and with it being night time the tort probably bedded down in one spot, so he may be easier to find now. Wishing for the best! Keep us posted!!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Thanks guys! I'm trying hard to keep it together, especially being so far from home :(. It's nice there, but I will tell him to leave food out and a light. BTW she's not one of Tom's she's just pampered :) but thanks for the compliment :)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I hope you find her! They usually end up in the most unusual spots where you would least check. Look for any possible hiding spots! Good luck!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Still no luck.. :( food dish is out, as well as heat light. Fingers are crossed. It supposed to drop to 55 tonight in Phoenix . Hopefully she goes to the food dish and the light..the indoor enclosure looks weird with just one tort.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Babies like this tend to wedge themselves into a tight corner or the base of a bush or weed area. If you have grass, they will nestle down into the grass down to the dirt. Whey outdoor enclosure get overgrown with weeds, I "lose" mine frequently. Usually I can find them within a few minutes from past experience of knowing where and how to look. They usually don't go far. Get him out there with a flashlight or headlamp and check the base of every bush and weed clump.

BTW, a night or two in Dry AZ with 55 temps probably won't hurt a thing, especially since we are having warm days right now.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Recently, during nice weather, I too lost my female pancake tortoise within 5 minutes of putting her on the ground in the outdoor enclosure. All it took was one dry leaf, and her wedged solidly under a sidewall for her to be gone. I found her, but it was a hair raising ordeal. They hide most effectively from predators,(us), and diligence is the key. Hope you find your little one in the morning and give it a warm bath to warm it to normal.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Ok, thanks cowboy and Tom. The enclosure is very large (most of the back yard) :) he combed the yard until 1000pm phx time. I haven't heard any word yet because of the hour difference between Boise and Phoenix. My biggest fear is that she found a hole in the fence and got out and someone picked her up.

View attachment 39449

image-3844395851.png

kjr153

5 Year Member
When my baby went missing outside we searched for two hours. Finally I got on my hands and knees and started crawling around the yard so I could be level with the ground. I found it tucked half way under a rock. It is very scary. Don't give up hope!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
If it is in an enclosed area it is just a matter of time before you find the little guy. Have him go from one end to the other on his hands and knees with a flash light tonight if he doesn't find it today.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
She has been found!! :tort::tort: She had indeed gotten out of the enclosure and into the alley behind the house :( my neighbor found her about 2 blocks down in the weeds trucking down the road. She is safely back inside :D:cool: Thank God!

Attachments

• 415123_3877892348822_909547213_o.jpg
    415123_3877892348822_909547213_o.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 51

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow! I am do glad she was found!! What a nice neighbor!!

Status
Not open for further replies.