VERY SICK EASTERN BOX!!!!!(updated 8-1-12)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julius25

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
France
RE: UPDATE on sick boxie

great action !!! :)
it was a good destiny for this lil tort to cross your road

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
RE: VERY SICK EASTERN BOX!!!!!

Supposedly terramycin is no longer made. But has been replaced by Duramycin soluble powder. I found that at my local feed store

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
RE: UPDATE on sick boxie

Great job! Be sure to release right where you found him if you choose to do so :)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area

i think its a girl!!!!!....can we get a pic of the tail to be sure?...long and skinny is a boy....short and fat girl..but the eyes look to be a female but it was kinda blurry.

krb1093

5 Year Member

Thanks every one! Yes he has male and female traits. Eye's look brown right now but wondering if they"ll change once fixed. I'll post some pics

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river

I actually know of several males with brown eyes. A large proportion of females in the meta population that includes my colony and my study population have red eyes. There are also ones with brown and yellow eyes

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL

WOW looks amazing.!! I'm sure he/she is happy that you found him :) great job !!!!

krb1093

5 Year Member
SICK EASTERN WON'T EAT

Eye's look much better but still keeps them closed most of the time. found out it's a girl. She hasn't ate in the 3 days I've had her. I've tried several fruits, veggies, wax worm, and regular worms, any suggestions? I did finally get the terramycin It was under a new name. I've noticed she lays alot with her head down,but have noticed that the hissing sound is starting to come through. I think she was to congested before.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: SICK EASTERN WON'T EAT

I know a lot of tortoise owners will give baby food soaks when their torts are sick and won't eat. They get baby food carrots, mix in the soak water. The torts will either drink it or will absorb some of it. Maybe you can try that. Also giving you a bump for more help. Hang on, the help will come. Sometimes it just takes a while for the right members to see it. Good luck, hope all turns out well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

If this is the wild turtle I think I read of in another of your threads? You have a couple of things likely going on as to why the turtle is not eating; it is wild, it is out of the wild :D

I did not see where you mentioned what made you think the turtle was sick and needed to be rehabilitated?

Oh goodness, I found your thread about why you think the little eastern is ailing......

krb1093

5 Year Member

willington, that's great to know. I have actually given her 3 soaks, carrots, sweet potato and a grn bean. I just found the terramycin and soaked her in that today.
ascott, it was very obvious she was sick. We have several boxies roaming our woods. She was between our driveway and the main street with her little head sticking straight up screaming for help lol. I didn't want her to get hit so I went to move her and noticed her eye's were very swollen. She tried to crack them and was able very slightly and they were very red, hazy and couldn't see any color. She would claw at her eyes I'm sure they were in pain.She also had a little foamy liquid from the mouth and taking shallow breaths. I do have before and after pics posted on another thread. She gets a soak in the morning, goes outside once it warms up to at least 80 to soak up some sun and at night she's in a closet in a loosely covered tub with the heat set at 85 and humidity at 80. She will be released once she's better, but i'm gonna do whatever possible to help her first.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

You are doing awesome....I found the before/after pics....very big improvement....good save :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I found your other thread. Of course after I found this one. Sounds like your doing everything possible. Have you seen improvement? Sounds like she is doing better, yes? Good luck.

krb1093

5 Year Member

Eye's are much better, but she still keeps them closed most off the time. Before when she release air it sounded very congested and cracky. It's now a smooth hiss. Just can't get her to eat or be very active. Today is only her second soaking in the antibiotics so hopefully there will be a big improvement within a couple days

krb1093

5 Year Member
LOOK WHO PERKED UP TODAY!!! Update on sick eastern

After 3 baby food and 2 terramycin soaks, Miss bright eye's is doing MUCH better. Soaked in terramycin this morning then took her outside to see if she'd roam ( she wouldn't the last couple days cause she was to weak). She was all over the place!!! Eye's wide open. I even put her in our landscaping wall while talking to my neighbor to make sure she didn't roam to far. When I went to place her back in the yard she had buried herself in the mulch. Thank you everyone for the GREAT advice. I'll post the before and today pics for people who may not have seen them from the other posts. oh, also if she continues to improve, how much longer should I keep her before release?

Attachments

• sick turtle 006.JPG
    sick turtle 006.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 34
  • sick turtle 005.JPG
    sick turtle 005.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 29
  • perked up 002.JPG
    perked up 002.JPG
    479.6 KB · Views: 43
  • perked up 003.JPG
    perked up 003.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 32
  • perked up 004.JPG
    perked up 004.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 41
  • perked up 001.JPG
    perked up 001.JPG
    472.1 KB · Views: 40

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Kelly:

You said you found the turtle in your driveway. Is there a pond or permanent water source anywhere near your property? No telling how far the turtle wandered with its eyes closed, so chances are, its not from your area. When you release it, I'd try to find a permanent water source nearby with lots of plants and maybe a wooded area.

The lids still look a tiny bit swollen to me. Don't release it yet.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area

If you want to release her you will probably have to give her to a rescue or rehabilitate group. Too much human contact for re-release is not good for them. There are too many risks to take back to the wild. If you don't want to keep her I recommend putting her up for adoption.

As for the food as long as you keep it available she will eat..most of the time they are shy eaters and wont eat if you watch. But they can go days without eating andshe has been sick...if she is roaming around then she isgetting her strength back from the soaks..also she may have consumed the carrot soak.

Status
Not open for further replies.